Do you teach youre ifant Sign Language?

If so how long was it until he/she start signing to you? What tool did you use to teach?

*NOTE:*
*I dont care for the type of mothers views who sit at home all day, on the computer, dont cook, dont clean and just lazy.
*I dont care to hear the views of mothers who dont teach.
*just no bashing

If you would like to teach just send me a direct reply & I can help you out

TummyPrincess

Asked by TummyPrincess at 9:53 PM on Oct. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son has special needs so he uses sign language more often than words. He will be 2 next month. We say the word as we show him the sign (such as for more). Then we will ask him if he wants more...and then take his hands and make him do the sign. Then we praise him and give him more of whatever we are working with. It took him about a month to catch on. I'm not sure about infants. We didn't start until my son was 18 months. But, I imagine you could teach them about the same.
    Krystal.Ingalls

Answer by Krystal.Ingalls at 9:59 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• I have a cousin who is profoundly deaf and legally blind, so I learned a fair amount of sign, and ended up using it with my kids, just as a kind of natural extention of life... like giving instructions from too far to talk, or telling them who I'm on the phone with.

Baby sign was just getting popular when my kids were school aged, so I didn't know what I was doing what anything special. It's a good idea, though, I think: it takes a long time to figure out all the complexities of speaking, but hand movements are easy to mimic, and as you have found no doubt, they understand a lot, long before they learn to talk.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 10:06 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• You can start teaching at 5 months. They may start signing from 5 months - 18 months. It is great for all children. Not just deaf, learning disabilites....ect
    Godswk

Answer by Godswk at 10:14 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• my son has delayed speech and the words he uses are not very clear, so we do use to very simple signs- open and more. we have tried to teach him other signs, but these 2 took us about 4 months to teach him. he is about 28 months old and it can be very frustrating at times because of the communication gap. i recommend using signs with all children. if you go to signingsavy.com you can find out how to sign just about anything.
    brodysmama23

Answer by brodysmama23 at 10:43 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• im sorry...its signingsavvy.com
    brodysmama23

Answer by brodysmama23 at 10:45 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• Sorry for the miss type...."infant".

I didnt even think of that. Special needs children. Yeah thats a great idea as well. Im sure that it is very helpful. That reminds me of the lady who invinted sign language. Im nor sure if youre schools shown you the movie, but she cant see or speak. Man I cant remember the name of that movie. It was goo though.

Wow 5 months. I start my children at 6 months and they reply by10 months.

It is grat for all children. I think more so for boys, not considering children with special needs, because boys tantrums way worse (to me) then boys. My boys have never but I have seen boys in school banging their heads on walls and stuff like that. I learned that this is because they know the words are in their head but dont know the words to express. So def a good thing :)

TummyPrincess

Answer by TummyPrincess at 10:51 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• I taught my kids.
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 11:09 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• Oops sorry- forgot to answer the rest. I began at around age 6 months and they understood pretty soon but it took a week or so before I began seeing signs from them.

I didn't use a tool, just know sign language and taught the kids while talking to them.

Words like bath, finished, more, sleep, and eat were easiest and I began with those.
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 11:10 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• Thats really good to. The old natural way :)

The movie was about a girl named Hellen Kaller...not sre on the spelling
    TummyPrincess

Answer by TummyPrincess at 11:44 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• Taught DS at 12 mos. Saw his first sign 1 mos later.

I work with a child with speech delay. He's 2yrs 6mo n it took him less than a month to sign.
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 1:14 AM on Oct. 25, 2009