i need help with getting my kids vaccinated... please help me

hello,
ive been seeing a ton of news about H1N1, or the flu shot.... my kids are 2 years old and 10 months old. can they get vaccinated? are they to young? do i only get the H1N1? or the flu shot? or both?
im trying to look on google for info, but im not sure what im supposed to look for. im going to get myself it, but i was wondering if i get my children it as well. i want to make sure i take every safety measure i can think of so thier ok. thier pediatricians have not once ever said anything to me about a of this, so im not sure if it doesnt apply to them, or they dont tell me cause i dont ask.

please help me. =/ thank you

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:03 PM on Oct. 24, 2009 in General Parenting

• Turn off the TV.

Do your own research.

My daughter had H1N1 in May. It was the flu!! 3 days of fever (the highest was 102.5), a few more of cough and congestion, one really gross bloody nose. Neither my husband nor I contracted it.
    We are focusing on prevention. You can adjust your lifestyle a bit to build up your immune system. Not getting enough sleep can lower your resistance to disease. So can being dehydrated, so be sure to drink at least 8 8oz glasses of water a day. Alcohol, meat, dairy, highly processed foods like white sugar and white flour all weaken the immune system. Foods that build up the immune system include: fruits, vegetables, whole grains and legumes.
    If you choose to get the H1N1 vaccine, I strongly urge you to (at least for small children) have your health care provider order the single dose preservative free vaccine.
    cont.

Answer by rkoloms at 11:28 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• Children can get the flu shot, including H1N1, as young as 6 months. There are separate vaccines for the "regular" seasonal flu and the H1N1 virus; you can make the choice to get one or the other or both. Definitely ask your doctor about them, and do some research on your own as well. Try Googling "flu vaccine safety", or something of the like.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 10:10 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• Look into the ingredients of the vaccine, and what those ingredients do to the body. Look into what happens if you get sick from this flu. Look into the pros and cons of vaccination.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 10:12 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• yes. Children over 6 months can get both the H1N1 as well as the regular flu shot. ask for the non mercury filled ones though.
    Also, if you want to do everything to prevent the flu (both swine and regular) make sure that you're family is eating healthy, getting enough Vit D3, Vit A, pro-biotics, and lots of good rest.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 10:22 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• I'm all for vaxing. My child has gotten all of the major vaccinations. With that being said I would strongly suggest only giving your children the regular flu shot. The H1N1 has had some problems and could have major side effects especially in young children. Are you a stay at home mom or are your children in a daycare center? I think that would make a difference in deciding on getting the H1N1 if your children are at home and you can limit their exposure to outside sources and being exposed to the virus I would say skip it and just be very cautious when in public about cleanliness. If your children are in a daycare center around lots of other children their chances of getting it are much more. In that case I'd discuss it with my pediatrician and ask his honest opinion if he thinks it is safe or not. Its your choice. Youll make the right one. Good job of asking :)
    Anonymous

• Your local county might have different rules for who they're vaccinating now depending on their supply.

Just call your county health department, and they'll give you the run down on who can get it, and where.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 11:08 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• Im still on the fence about vaccinating my kids. Im worried about what unforeseen future health issues this quickly made vaccine might have on our children.
    krazieredhead

Answer by krazieredhead at 12:25 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• As with other vaccines, the H1N1 vaccine is expected to be 60-80% effective. For all of us, those who choose to vax and those who don't, prevention is key. Here is what Dr Sears is saying about the vaccine: http://www.askdrsears.com/thevaccinebook/ . if you read through the comments, you will see that he is not getting the vax.
    You catch a virus by coming in contact with it; this is why hand washing is so important. Did you know that viruses can live on paper money for 9 days?
    I had been resisting supplementing with probiotics until I read this:
    With all the hype about the upcoming flu epidemic, and the pros and cons of vaccination, how can we protect our children and ourselves?

According to the results of a double-blind, placebo-controlled study reported in the August issue of PEDIATRICS, probiotics may be useful to prevent cold and influenza-like symptoms in children.

cont.

• Of 326 healthy children three to five years old, 104 were randomly assigned to receive placebo, 110 received _Lactobacillus acidophilus NCFM_ and 112 received a combination of _L acidophilus NCFM_ and _Bifidobacterium animalis subsp lactis Bi-07_.  The children were treated twice daily for 6 months...

Read the rest of the article here: http://cme.medscape.com/viewarticle/707328 

Answer by rkoloms at 11:29 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• WOW. a ton of GREAT information on here. thank you ALL very much.
    now i know what to ask about when i go in for an appointment for my kids. thank you all very much
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:48 AM on Oct. 25, 2009