Why do some women draw their eyebrows with pencil?

This is a question I've always wanted to know. Why use brow pencil to draw eyebrows? Some women shave off their eyebrows to achieve this. In my opinion it is hideous and unnatural. Im not speaking about people that are sick (ie. cancer) or suffer from hair loss.

Asked by Godswk at 10:09 PM on Oct. 24, 2009 in Beauty & Style

• Like this? lol

Yeah, I don't get it either! My sister does this and it is weird and creepy. She actually plucks them all and draws them in about half an inch higher than they should be. She said she doesn't like the arch she normally has.

Answer by Nathskitten at 10:46 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• lol this question cracks me up...makes me think of my fifth grad teacher, she did this, no apparent reason and had a never ending surprised look, lol.....I agree not natural at all, kinda freaky

Answer by Hulkgrrl at 10:12 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• It's possible that they over-tweezed and now have not enough eyebrow left. I don't know for those who have normal eyebrows and shave those off and pencil in eyebrows. I wonder if maybe their natural eyebrows are darker or lighter than they want, but they don't want to go through dyeing them.

Answer by Bmat at 10:26 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• My SO and I was talking about this same thing the other night. I think it looks funny, and what if they start sweating?

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 10:48 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• Wait, Wait... this one is even better!

Answer by Nathskitten at 10:49 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• Natual vs non-natural is a seperate issue I think. If you are a fashion diva like myself then yeah you would want to "perfect" (sounds sick but true) yourself in drawing on youre eye brows. If you are not really a girly girl and dont wear make-up and stuff I can see how this can be very weird. Also culture plays a part in this. I personally use a pencil to thicken my eye brows and help "perfect" the shape. I have mexican foster daughter who crack me up with this. Love the photos. I could post photos of them, but wont of course lol

Answer by TummyPrincess at 12:06 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• I think it's creepy-looking. "perfect yourself?" How are fake eyebrows perfecting yourself?

Answer by SWasson at 7:22 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• I don't know why those women are shaving off their own brows and then drawing in different ones. I do know that my own natural brows are very thin and a very pale blonde, almost transparent, so if I don't use an eyebrow pencil I don't look like I have any eyebrows at all.

Answer by Anonymous at 8:36 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• The first pic from Nathsmom looks like the woman bought an eywbrow tracing kit that I have seen in walmart, but drew the brows on backwards, ei her right brow should be on the left side and vice versa.

I asked this question once and was attacked, so Im glad to see the women on your question turned it into a humorous thing.

Answer by cassie_kellison at 1:51 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• I've had a waxing mishap and had to draw on half of my eyebrow, but thankfully it grew back right. I do fill in my eyebrows to define them more, but I certainly don't shave them off first. I have seen some done very well, and others not so well (the chola look, where they are halfway up their forehead....)

Answer by hannah_belle at 5:27 PM on Oct. 25, 2009