4 months post partum and spotting (exclusively BF...NO Period)...Post partum bleeding or possible pregnancy?

My son is 4 months old and I'm exclusively breastfeeding. I haven't had a period because of it.

2 weeks ago I have light pink spotting but I just chalked it up to the intercourse from the night before. Well then today I had some red/brown/pink spotting with some mucusy discharge when I wiped. I had to wipe several times to get it all and then wore a panty liner the rest of the day. The panty liner only has some small brown spots on it.

I'm not asking anyone if I'm pregnant...I know you can't tell me. I also know there's always a possibility when you have sex.

I guess I'm just wondering if anyone has been through this before and knows what it might be.

Should I make an appointment with the OBGYN to get check for the post partum bleeding? Should I just take a pregnancy test first?

Has any one had this and it was neither post partum bleeding nor pregnancy? If so what was it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:10 PM on Oct. 24, 2009 in Pregnancy

• You can spot/get your period while exclusively breastfeeding. When it comes back while you're BFing, it sometimes does take a few times to "get going" like what you're used to... so that is a possibility.

You can also get pregnant while exclusively BFing before you actually get your period back --- just ask my 6 yr old.... born 13 mos after his brother.

What you're describing (brown & very light) sounds like it's probably just from sex, though. Take a test just so it's not weighing on your mind, & if it continues to happen (esp. when there's no possibility it was caused by sex or other internal "trauma"), & it doesn't progress over the months to a regular period, THEN you might want to make an appt.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 10:15 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• My daughter is exclusively breastfed, and I didn't ovulate until 4.5 months post-partum. I did have a couple of periods before then, one at 5 weeks and again at 9 weeks. In between then and 5 months when my "real" period came, I did spot a few times, for a few days in a row each time. I've noticed that, for me, that happens sometimes when I don't ovulate, usually around the time my period would have come if I had ovulated, sometimes followed by a period a few days later, and sometimes just sticking to the spotting.

So take a pregnancy test just to make sure, and if you're not pregnant and your period still doesn't start in a few days, then it's probably just hormonal. Crazy stuff happens when hormones are involved as heavily as while breastfeeding, spotting not being the least of it, lol.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 10:15 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• It is NOT pp bleeding. Either you're about to start your period regardless of EBF, or you're pregnant and possibly having implantation bleeding or something like that. Take a test, wait a couple weeks, see what happens.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:31 AM on Oct. 25, 2009