Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

this might be more of a vent...state screwed me....

ok i babysit for a young women have been doing it for almost a yr now all was great but she did need help so she got some PA. she only gets childcare and food cash. anyways i was told how to fill out papers to get paid by state i do this..the first one i filled out was 112.00 ( for mon thru fri ) i just got my first check and it was only 52.00. so really im watching this child for like 1.25 hr. i was chargeing her 4.00 and hour to help her out. now not only do i have to pay in taxes i am basicly watch him for free. that dosent help me out. now i dont know what to tell this mom. i count on the small xtra income. and now i barly get a thing, and i provide food,snacks,juice. what do i do now? and how am i gonna handle this? i also have to take 10% out of the 52.00 for taxes. so really its like 45.00 for a week. im so annoyed right now.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 10:11 PM on Oct. 24, 2009 in Money & Work

Answers (7)
  • I would tell her she needs to make up the difference and buy snacks and such for him or something. It is not you responsibility I know we all want to be charitable when we can but it should not be put on you to make up the difference.

    Answer by PsychMommie at 10:16 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

  • Well...I know with food stamps, they give you a certain amount, and anything you need over that amount, you have to pay for yourself. Maybe it's the same with daycare? Like they'll cover $52 a week, and they expect her to cover the other $60? So it would be more of a discount to her than getting free childcare. I don't know for sure, but it would make sense to me. Is there a number you can call on the paperwork you filled out?

    Answer by DragonRiderMD at 10:19 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

  • The state only pays a portion. She is supposed to apy the rest

    Answer by Gealach at 10:20 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

  • Yup. The rest- the part she is supposed to pay- is called a co=pay. The state pays the amount she is eligible for in aod and she makes up the difference.

    Answer by emhain at 10:47 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

  • Holy typos!
    co=pay.... co-pay
    aod... aid
    Sorry :)

    Answer by emhain at 10:47 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

  • I know one person who got odd amounts every week, and it was based on the hubby's (daddy of the child) workweek - even if it didn't match up to the hours the child was there. Some weeks she'd only have him a few hours but get paid for 50 hours, another week she'd have him way more hours and get paid for way was really odd but in the end it all evened out. Call the state or county or whatever (start with DHS and if they can't help ask who can).

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:48 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

  • It's not the state screwing you, it's the person you sit for. Sounds like she's getting "assistance" with daycare, not full reimbursement. She needs to pay the difference.

    Answer by halfpint_ny at 7:15 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.