What is youre experiance with the tool Youre Baby Can Read! as shown on TV

TummyPrincess

Asked by TummyPrincess at 10:17 PM on Oct. 24, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Sorry but to me it sound like to much to soon, enjoy the time you have with your baby and let them be babies. They will learn to read like every other kids which is good for them. I don't know if this is really a bad idea but play is really important for kids and why do they need to read so young. They already grow up so quick to me.
    PsychMommie

Answer by PsychMommie at 10:19 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• I personally believe its a crock of sh*t, as do many of my early childhood education professors. Those babies shown on tv aren't reading, they're memorizing. Its true it does teach fantastic memorization skills, but does a 9 month old really need to memorize things? I felt it was more important for my son when he was an infant to roll over, crawl, mimic language heard through everyday life, start walking, try different foods, learn how to get into things, and just play. We read our entire lives, starting in preschool with learning our names and letters, why does a 9 month old need to read? What does this prove besides you sacrificed your child's time to just play with even more learning so you can tell your friends your kid can read. Just to be clear i'm not attacking the person asking the question, I just have a very strong opinion on the overall topic.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 10:28 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• I have the Your Baby can read system for my 7 month old. I let him watch it while I clean house and such. He likes the DVDS. They have a lot of small babies in them, and they sing a lot of kid songs, I think that is why he likes it. If he learns to read early then great, and if not that is okay too. I don't see anything wrong in babies learning as much as they can, and I don't see how in anyway it could hurt for him to watch it. Also I think it is way better for my son to watch those DVDS opposed to Nick Jr. or PBS or something like that. They are on his age level and teach a lot more than just reading. They also encourage language and talking in general. I would recommend it to all my friends, whether they will actually help the children read earlier, well we will just have to wait and  see. But I think they are good for babies to watch. It is expensive, but you get a lot of DVDs and Books and Flash cards.It is worth it

BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 10:31 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• Yes I can confirm with you that it is just memorizatio. My major is in Business and minor is in Early Childhood Education as well. They just memorize the "shape" of the words. Then later they learn phonics, 3 letter words/blends, sight words and silent "e" words. Im not going to say that is it a bad thing its just a new way. With my experiance they will learn either way: naturally, phonics first or noe this new memorization tool.

"too much too soon" not a fan! This statement may be true for some mother but for sure not for me. I learn that my children have a lot more sekf-esteem then a lot of other children when entering school. I was taught that when children learn they feel more self worth. Now Im not talking about screaming and yelling at you kids to learn but to never settle when their brain wants to learn. Also I live in Silicon Valley, were their are alot of google heads. In Japan they teach their children early.
    TummyPrincess

Answer by TummyPrincess at 11:23 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• BlainesMommy09,
    Congrats to you. That is very true. I do allow my son to have a little break to watch PBS Sprout but that it. I control what he watchs 100% with approved DVDS & VHS. My children have gone a long way with knowing hoe to read, write and knowing math early. Im not sure if they have an honor roll system where you are or a GATE class but my children are in/on both. As a teacher its sad to see children struggle. I just wish that their parents would of gave them the basic training at home. Kids are sooooo stressed out when they actually start to read, write and learn math at school. To me this causes children who struggle to hate school. Not all but some. When they see their peers doing so great it just shuts them down. Its really sad.

So how much did the entire thing cost? Or just the first one? What is it like? Is it just youre child watching other babies read? Or like a flash card popping up reading?
    TummyPrincess

Answer by TummyPrincess at 11:33 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• My mother has this for her preschool. Mostly for the flash cards, but she bought the entire system. My daughter loved watching the movies when we went to visit. If I had the money to blow on it, I'd get it for her. I'm not convinced she'd learn to read, but she could certainly enjoy the films and the flash cards (which she LOVED) and if it helped great. But I don't have that kind of money to spend on preschooler recreation.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 3:02 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• Tool? More of a money making scheme for the "creator". It doesn't teach them to read, just memorize the look of words. They don't learn to sound out their words, they don't learn phonics, they don't learn the sounds of individual letters.

There is a huge difference between teaching your kids something and sitting them in front of a stupid DVD for that to teach them. There is a huge difference between teaching your kids the basics and teaching them to memorize shit.

My 3 year old is reading (sounding out his words and blending the sounds for the word), writing words as he sounds them out and doing simple math. All because I paid attention to him and taught him what he wanted to know.

It's stupid, it's a waste of money and doesn't teach a damn thing. Kids doing this shit now are having trouble in school later when they have to read correctly. If my kids preschool did it, I'd yank them out and report them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:32 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• I didn't have Your Baby Can Read and my kids are both in the AG accelerated classes at school. Both of my kids knew how to read when they entered school because (horrors!) I READ to them. I know it's a backward idea (can you hear the sarcasm in my voice), but kids learn more from you reading to them than they do from memorizing flashcards. Yes, I have my education degree as well.
    Also, there is an article this month in Parents magazine where the experts area also do not agree with using this program with babies. It's a much better use of time to actually spend time talking to them/playing with them rather than sitting them in front of a DVD.

Answer by missanc at 2:45 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• You would report the preschool for what? Letting kids play with flashcards? She doesn't plop them down in front of the movie and leave them alone, she just uses the books and flashcards. Have you even seen the program? I don't believe that it is the best way to teach a young child to read (I don't even believe it teaches children to read), but I think it helps children understand the connection between words and objects. It shows that words mean things. I don't think it's worth the money, but it's really not harming my mom's preschoolers to play with the flash cards. In case you've never seen them, they're flash cards with a hidden picture, so kids see the word and then pull out the side to see the picture. Three year olds think they're really cool.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 4:05 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• my mom bought it for my niece and it doesnt work. it just tought her to memorize the meanings of the cards and she likes the videos.. u can buy the exact same thing at walmart . just buy regular abc flash cards and baby einstine movies..
    Anonymous