how to raise money for adoption?

i can't have any more children but me and my husband want to adopt! but can't seem to find a way to raise the money! were collecting old cell phones, selling toys but nothing seems to be happening! any suggestions?

Mrs.Goff42608

Asked by Mrs.Goff42608 at 10:28 PM on Oct. 24, 2009 in Adoption

• Bellacocco, not all women who place do so because of financial reasons. My kids' bmoms placed their children because they have addiction issues and knew how easily they could fall back into it. My good friend placed because she was a teenager and wanted to finish high school and have the normal life she'd dreamed of. Sorry, but your reponse comes off as making some pretty big assumptions, too, whether you meant it to or not.

The OP's story shows that women can make it when faced with an unplanned pg and financial difficulties. I'm not going to assume that she's going to take a baby from someone who is just poor. It's not her fault that others have made different choices. We should call this forum the "Chip on Her Shoulder" forum. JMHO.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 10:23 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• Check with the foster system. If you can foster a child then adopt, it is virtually free.

To raise money, i'd say get as many jobs as yall have time for, if you have a car payment, sell it/ trade it in for a used car (and no payment), downsize to a smaller home if you have a very high mortgage and could live in a smaller home, stop buying food and use what you have in pantry (only buying what you need), budget, stop using credit cards and debit and go to cash only (example- give yourself $50 a week for groceries; when the cash is gone, wait til next week, then you get $50 more...

Have a yard sale, asking all friends to donate things to sell and let people know it is for an adoption, include baked goods...

Anonymous

• Why don't you adopt an older child? There are many waiting for adoptive parents and many time these are state funded.
    PsychMommie

Answer by PsychMommie at 10:38 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• well i just lost my job and now im babysitting 24/7 and i get ssi and my husband fulltime at the prison; and we have 2 cars one not working and the other gets great gas mileage and traded the truck for it; just bought our home not even 2yrs ago single wide trailer; buy grociers once a month dont go over 150 at all; so we've been doing all that
    Mrs.Goff42608

Answer by Mrs.Goff42608 at 11:08 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• Maybe you need to wait until your financial situation improves before adopting.
    Southernroots

Answer by Southernroots at 1:06 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• I agree that it might be wise to wait until your financial situation improves before adopting. You also need adequate number of square feet per child/bedrooms, etc. usually to be approved. Also, some CPS agencies won't allow you to do in-home child care while fostering to adopt because they have to do background checks on everyone who enters your home (all the children's parents).
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 2:06 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• adoptuskids.org
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 10:06 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• Why is it when someone is adopting, it's ok to ask for hand outs.....but if a bio parent is seeking help to raise their child, they are called a mooch or burden and have no business raising the child?
    Anonymous

• Anon 1:04, not all of us are against a bio mom (or anyone else) receiving assistance when she needs it. There are going to be people making nasty remarks and judgments about anything and everything you do. Yes, it stinks. In my case, my fellow nursing students think I should be working full-time like them while I'm in school, even though I'd never see my kids. Others think I shouldn't be in school or working at all because I should have no other responsibilities outside my family. I try to ignore them.

BTW, I don't think the OP was really asking for handouts, just ideas for raising money. She's not saying she wants to adopt today, but she is starting to save money now. This is surely a high-stress forum.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 2:28 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• ty lamqr8teful were not adopting right this minute or anything we plan to have nearly everything if not everything paid off when we do adopt so we don't have to worry about it! I was just wanting ideas is all and everyone just assumed there own opines! we know its going to cost a lot and would like to get a head start on the money factor cause we are wanting to use an open adoption if possible we want the birth mother to know what's going on cause without her there wouldn't be the child in question and we've thought of foster care but we have a 6 yr old and you know how kids can get attached a lot easier then the adults and me as a parent did not want to put my child through that! all were asking for is ideas not criticism!
    Mrs.Goff42608

Answer by Mrs.Goff42608 at 5:55 PM on Oct. 25, 2009