How can I help a friend?

So I have a friend (with a lot of ongoing medical problems) that has 2 children (a 16yo boy & a 12yo girl) Her ex husband stopped paying child support a while back and the state hasn't done anything about it. So she's a single mom with 2 kids trying to do everything on her own. She has a FT job and a degree and hardly brings a paycheck home!! She's behind on her rent, electric, and water (and has nothing extra)
To the point..She tried to do the toys4tots thing for Christmas but you have to be on some kind of state assistance to get it!! She would qualify for state assistance but the car she owns is worth too much (it's just a hyundai) (her parents bought it for her as a gift a couple of years back)!! So what kind of help could she possibly get for Christmas?? She really needs it..she has no help and her parents try to help as much as possible but they aren't doing so well now either..She lives in FL btw..

WAREIZLILYBUGZ

Asked by WAREIZLILYBUGZ at 10:34 PM on Oct. 24, 2009 in Holidays

• As it happens, helping families for Christmazs is part of MY job! First- look for your local chapter of Red Cross. They should have a listing of agencies in the area that are helping struggling families. Second- contact local churches and colleges. Churches often do Adopt A Family types of programs and colleges sometimes do that kind of thing as a service project. Third- tell her to ask at the kids' schools. Schools like to help. If she won't do it and you REALLY think she wants the help but is too embarrassed, call them yourself. Tell them you're a concerned friend. Fourth- if either of you is active in a Rotary, Kiwanis or even book club... ask. Individuals can't do much this year. In groups though, peopple can really help out. And last- if you need any other ideas, PM me :)
    emhain

Answer by emhain at 10:41 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• look for local charaties and maybe even church ministries
    Anonymous

• is she involved with a church? They usually do alot of toy drives for the people in need. Another good idea.. is maybe you and a couple of friends could all get together and put in a few dollars this year and maybe do your own little gift drive for her. I'm not from FL so i don't know anything done there.. but i'd keep searching the net!
    ashjacks4

Answer by ashjacks4 at 10:42 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• Is she a member of a church, book club, girl scout troop?
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 10:42 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• I say put the car in someone elses name... how can DCF tell you a car that's PAID for is worth too much? I'd be asking for a supervisor...
    yamdankypita

Answer by yamdankypita at 10:59 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• She's not involved in any kind of organization, she's a homebody and sort of a loner!! I definately would think she would be too embarassed to ask for help..she didn't even check out the t4t thing..i just did that on my own bc I know how badly she needs the help!!
    WAREIZLILYBUGZ

Answer by WAREIZLILYBUGZ at 11:05 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• I would def have her relook into assistance. I my car is paid for but I still receive medical for my kiddos. And she needs to state - if she were to sell the car she has no form of transporation to provide what little paycheck she has. A car is a means of working. I think she def needs to relook at her situation. It is based on her income vs expenses. They may tell her to get rid of every extra - cell phones, cable, and other bills that are not NEEDS.
    roxyann76

Answer by roxyann76 at 11:17 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• The only thing extra she has is a house phone..but to me that is a necessity..idk how they look at it though. They told her that she could sell her car and get a cheaper one..that's just ridiculous to me..it's not like she bought it..her dad is actually the first owner on the car and she is the second..
    WAREIZLILYBUGZ

Answer by WAREIZLILYBUGZ at 11:33 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• I know the Salvation Army gives away toys for children if you sign up early enough.
    justluvinmyson

Answer by justluvinmyson at 12:42 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• I just wanted to say..Thank you for everyones input so far (=
    WAREIZLILYBUGZ

Answer by WAREIZLILYBUGZ at 12:50 AM on Oct. 25, 2009