Should I heed the doctor's advice? (leaking colostrum at 18 wks)

At my last prenatal visit I briefly mentioned that I'm leaking colostrum already and the doc, without actually waiting for me to ask a question or provide any further input, told me not to stimulate my breasts whatsoever. I was kind of taken aback by this but just nodded as she wrapped up the appointment and ushered me out the door.

My question is, would it be so bad if my SO and I still involved them in foreplay? It's not as if I'm trying to feed him (hah!). It's just been such a part of what we do during our intimate times that to say "Don't touch them at all or pay them any mind" seems kind of ... well... unfun and silly. I KNOW breasts make milk on demand, so I shouldn't realistically worry about "taking milk away" from the baby. I do plan on getting a second opinion from a doctor, but would like input from moms who appreciate their mammaries as well as their men. Help me out!

Callien

Asked by Callien at 10:34 PM on Oct. 24, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Yes, because Nipple stimulation can bring on early contractions. I am assuming you would like to keep the baby.
    Anonymous

• yeah it can cause you to contract but i'd ask the doctor if that was the reason she said not to mess with your boobs, my dh messed with mine while i was pregnant and i had my baby at 36 weeks (had nothing to do with sex b/c my ob told us to stop at 34 weeks b/c i was already dilated)
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 10:39 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• I'm aware of the possibility that it may encourage contractions, but I'm also aware that orgasms can cause them. We've been given the green light for sex, why should there be any more restrictions on breastplay so long as it's not a marathon session?

(Of course I want to keep my baby. Thanks for being so absolutely blunt.)
    Callien

Answer by Callien at 10:46 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• Im not sure but I think 18 weeks is early for you to be leaking colostrum. I think your Doc probably assumed you are having a lot of nipple stimulation to cause this even women who aren't pregnant can stimulate their breast enough to leak.
    marilyp

Answer by marilyp at 10:48 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• If you have not had any other preterm labor signs than there is absolutely NOTHING to worry about. Many women have collostrum even earlier than you.

Orgasms cause larger contractions than nipple stimulation through out your pregnancy. In order to start labor in a low risk pregnancy by using nipple stimulation you would have to be nearing labor anyway.

My breast are a big part of our sex life too. We did nothing to change that during my pregnancy and of course I didn't have any preterm labor issues.

Call a midwife and talk to her about your concerns. She reassure you.
    miasmommy21407

Answer by miasmommy21407 at 10:53 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• She *can* reassure you.

Sorry. :)
    miasmommy21407

Answer by miasmommy21407 at 10:57 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• I started leaking at 10weeks. Doctor said it was fine... it's not like you are pumping early. Again if you feel more comfortable get a second opinion, but in my case it was never a problem... i even tried stimulation at 39 weeks (didn't do a thing) because they were going to induce me anyways within the next couple days.
    Anonymous

• I agree with not stimulating them. There's more to sex than him sucking on your nipples. He can have them back after the baby's safely out, hopefully on time and not early, but for now, keep a bra on with breastpads if the leaking is that bad.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:23 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• It's not bad, and I only notice it if I'm turned on or just getting out of the shower. Like I said, will talk to another doctor at my clinic. It's not just nipples. It's "breast stimulation". No flirtatious grabbing, no massaging, nothing.
    Callien

Answer by Callien at 2:13 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• It sounds like you're asking if it will take anything from the milk your baby recieves post-partum? The same thing has been happening to me. It happened in my first pregnancy and now it's happening again in my second. As far as I know it didn't effect anything with my breastmilk post-partum, seeing as how I was still producing colostrum when my baby was born. I think your body knows when it's not pregnant anymore to signal the switch from colostrum to regular breast milk. I don't think the leaking hurts anything, as long as your SO doesn't think it's weird. :) My hubby gets weirded out by the leaking and is afraid to touch them lol.
    MrsMoree

Answer by MrsMoree at 5:36 AM on Oct. 25, 2009