Has anyone used your baby can read?

I was looking at this product and wondered about the kids later in life. Did learning to read with this help them later on? My daughter is 4.

GillianzMama

Asked by GillianzMama at 10:49 PM on Oct. 24, 2009 in General Parenting

• I'm not a fan of this concept....I just feel that babies should be babies and when they're ready (and it certainly won't be when they're less then a year old like this company boasts) they'll learn without obnoxious videos.
    madelyns_momma

Answer by madelyns_momma at 11:27 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• No and I never would. It is pure memorization. And what is wrong with a baby not reading until school age! In my day we didn't start reading until well into kindergarten or 1st grade and we lived.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 12:21 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• I haven't used it, but I did read an article about it in this month's Parents magazine. Their take was that you can do it, but the time would be much better spent expanding their vocabulary through play and talking.

Answer by missanc at 12:52 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• Memorizing the look of words is not reading. They're not learning phonics, they're not learning how to blend the sounds of letters into words, they're not learning to sound out words for reading or writing.

It's simply a money making scheme that parents are buying into every day and making some asshole rich because they don't know how to think for themselves and realize memorizing is not reading.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:45 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• My daughter was reading chapter books at four (with parents who worked full time). We read to hear, played word games, labeled everything in the house, limited TV.

Answer by rkoloms at 11:25 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• I would not get it. Let babies be babies. Play is so important to their developement. They do not learn phonics and it is more important for them to play and learn the difference between 'big' and 'bigger' than to read the difference. The same psychologist said not to push reading on preschoolers because it is still more important for them to totally learn the concept of things like 'soft', 'softer' and 'softest'. I was taught to sight read as a stae-wide "experiment" and really wished I had learned the way other kids did.
    katie23

Answer by katie23 at 3:36 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• *state-wide experiment
    katie23

Answer by katie23 at 3:37 PM on Oct. 25, 2009