Do you know of any problems with taking St. John's Wort?

I have been dealing with depression from chronic illness and I don't want to try antidepressants again.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:56 PM on Oct. 24, 2009 in Health

• yes. the most common side effect is photosensitive
    not sure if i used the correct word, but basically your skin is more sensitive to UV

I take it.
    Also, you might try taking Vit D if you aren't getting enough.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 10:57 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• my sweetie takes st. john's & has no issues I like it better. he used to take prescription it was expensive, addictive, but st. john's is affordable & nonaddictive.
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 11:07 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• If you have other health issues going on, definitely talk to your doctor or pharmacist before starting it - mixed with certain things, it can be a bad thing - it makes some meds ineffective, makes some hyper-effective, etc. Nothing wrong with it as long as a professional has okay-ed that it won't interfere with anything else - including any other OTC meds and other herbs & supplements.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:16 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• Anon 11:16 is right. I am a nurse, and we've been told over and over how St. Johns Wort and other herbs interact with other medications. If you take any other meds at all (including over-the-counter), you need to find out whether they interact with any herbs you are taking. You can try asking your doctor, but many of them do not know off the top of their head. You may have to look it up yourself. You should be able to Google it. Look for reputable sources that aren't trying to sell you anything.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 12:29 AM on Oct. 25, 2009