Is it normal for my 8 year old son to still wear Goodnights pull ups?

The doctor says some kids take longer to develop. The thing is, it doesn't even seem to bother my son. I'm not sure if it's developmental or just laziness. He is a sound sleeper and says he doesn't wake up. Does anyone else have experience with this? Anything I can do?

goldenfox

Asked by goldenfox at 1:54 PM on Jun. 24, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My nephew still wet the bed at that age. He is 25 now. And I know alot of moms w/boys that did also. I think it is normal.
    The best thing to do is cut off their drinks an hour before bed. Only sips if they have to. They generally start to grow out of it. Oh, and my husband did at that age, (he told me). It generally a small bladder with the boys.
    Have them go to the rest room before bed, sips of water only. No caffeine (caffeine does make you go). Give him time. I wouldn't put the pull ups on him unless he really doesn't care. But bed protectors. I don't see getting on to them either. It's really nothing they can help. Just growing!
    gr-mom2

Answer by gr-mom2 at 2:51 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• Is his bed too soft? When I was a kid, I had bedwetting troubles b/c I couldn't wake up at night... my parents put boards under my mattress to firm them up & I stopped wetting the bed almost like magic. Your son COULD have a bladder problem, but it could be something simple like a soft bed, laziness, or too much drink with dinner. Good luck!
    crazysocks830

Answer by crazysocks830 at 2:41 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• I peed the bed until I was 9! No clue why, and then one night I just stoped.
    onespoiledwife

Answer by onespoiledwife at 3:38 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• my family has had its share of bedwetters in it, i was told it should stop before purberty
    dannersmell

Answer by dannersmell at 4:29 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• My son is 7 and still wets the bed at night. His doc told me that there are medicines you could give him or a device that beeps to wake him up when his blatter is full. I forget how it works exactly. Maybe you could google bed wetting.
    momluvsmatt

Answer by momluvsmatt at 9:39 PM on Jul. 4, 2008

• one of my sons slept so sound he could sleep through throwing up, he also wet the bed, and NO it's not laziness!!!!our Dr put him on Clonidine, it helps then sleep but not as deeply then what we were told to do was after he had been asleep for 2 hours we would go in and wake him up fully and have him go to the bathroom, our Dr said that you kidneys empty into your bladder 2 hours after you go to sleep, most people wake up and go or they can just hold it til morning (I'm one of those). it worked within two weeks he no longer wet the bed and was only on Clonidine for 1 month to train new sleeping habits.

lisarose45

Answer by lisarose45 at 2:52 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• Thanks for the advice ladies! Just an update - at Christmas we went to stay with family and my son was sharing a room with his 8 year old cousin. I think he realized he was embarressed about the pullups, and didn't want her to see, so he told me the second night we were there that he wasn't going to wear them anymore. And he hasn't!! Yay!!
    goldenfox

Answer by goldenfox at 12:29 PM on Apr. 4, 2009