Why would someone run to the hospital with the flu?

According to my regular doctor they do not want you to even come into the office if you suspect you have the flu. You are to go to the hospital if you have symptoms and you think you need help. He said, "We have nothing to offer you at this level."

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:10 PM on Oct. 24, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• My daughter has H1N1 as far as we know. How do we know?
    1) It is going around her school
    2) She has ALL the symptoms
    3)I called the nurses line and explained them. They said treat her like she has H1N1. DO NOT BRING HER IN...

She doesn't have asthma or anything else, so we have done it. I have managed to pick it up, too. 4 days for her. 3 for me. We are doing just fine.
    If people have asthma, MS, lupus, etc~ I can totally see CALLING your Dr first, then going to the emerg. room if they say so. But to rush to the ER with the slightest symptom? nope. I am not that paranoid.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 11:23 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• Heres why - He was lucky!
    http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/10/23/eveningnews/main5415715.shtml
    Anonymous

• Doctors are seeing more cases like Luke's. Seventy-five patients have tested positive for H1N1 at Arkansas Children's Hospital since August. Seventeen of them, like Luke, ended up in the pediatric intensive care unit. Just last month, there were more H1N1 patients in the unit than were admitted all last year for the regular flu.

At this particular hospital, three children have died. After 16 days on a ventilator doctors decided Friday it was time for Luke to breathe on his own.
    Prasie the Lord your daughter wasn't one of them!
    Anonymous

• http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=5394572n&tag=related;photovideo
    Anonymous

• The article and video are the reason you should pay close attention to your self or your child/ren anyone gets it. These cases ARE the exception though, and most people who are getting this flu are experiencing milder symptoms than those who get the regular flu. A good many of the doctors I know are telling people that. It's all of the people running to the ER and doctors as soon as they cough or sneeze that are spreading it around. The doctors know this, and it's why they are telling people to stay home and drink a lot of fluids, rest, and ONLY come in if there are specific symptoms. Difficulty breathing, babies with blue lips or fingers, severe/persistant vomiting, etc. These all indicate a NEED for treatment.

If you have the flu, the best place for you is at home and in bed. Be alert for worse symptoms, but don't panic! Lots more people die each year from regular flu than from H1N1, so why the panic now? Media?
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 12:10 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• Yep hospitals are cesspools of disease they can spread this to otheres and you would have a real problem.Hmmmm what to do when it gets in the air ducts???? You DO NOT GO to the hospital unless you have trouble breathing or you are not very responsive or not drinking a lot of liquids.
    Ibelongtojesus

Answer by Ibelongtojesus at 3:26 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• If you have the flu, the best place for you is at home and in bed. Be alert for worse symptoms, but don't panic! Lots more people die each year from regular flu than from H1N1, so why the panic now? Media?

Are you a heath care professional?
    Anonymous

• Are you a heath care professional?

Mom's a nurse, brother is a doctor ~ me, lol, I'm just a retired vet tech repeating what all the local docs are spouting on the media mixed in with some plain old common sense.

If everyone who does, or thinks they have the flu runs to the nearest ER they are effectively spreading it to others who don't have it but are likely already sick with something else. If you yourself don't have it you may well get it from someone else who is there with it, or add another bug to it.

I most certainly don't advocate NOT getting checked if your gut says something is wrong or a family doc advises you to go to an ER. I'm saying that this flu, in MOST cases, is far milder than the regular flu and bed rest and plenty of fluids is the best thing.

Considering that my DH (and I by default) can NOT get any flu shots (or even be around those who have) flu season is always a pain for us.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 10:59 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• Nurse. Actual nurse and I got my info from a doc.
    Ibelongtojesus

Answer by Ibelongtojesus at 9:02 AM on Oct. 26, 2009