what can i do to help my dd get over her pacifier?

She is 17 months old and my hubby will not let her have it. I normally let her have it at bed time cause she just cant sleep without it and hubby doesnt have to deal with it i do. But he says no way. Its just i cant get sleep now and i am having a baby within the next month. I need to know how i can help her thru the process. Thanks...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:37 PM on Oct. 24, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i think she might be too young to understand an even exchange, like a new babydoll for the pacifier...so i would throw it out and let her cry it out. it takes 3 days to break a habit. she will get over it...i know CIO sounds mean to some people, but thats my method and it seems to work for us at my house. good luck:)
    brodysmama23

Answer by brodysmama23 at 11:43 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• It was hard to get our son off the binky as well. We started to wean him. First, he could only use it at nap time and bedtime. Then after a week, he could only use it at bedtime. After that, we told him it was time for another baby to have the binky, since he was too big for it. Our son was 2 years old before we got him off it for good. We then tossed all binkies in the trash.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 11:44 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• CIO will have to do i guess. Its not like i can give her one anyway since hubby threw them out already. Or at least i think he did cause i dont know where they went.
    Anonymous

• I agree with the top poster, let her cry it out. Weaning will only make the problem last longer.
    Anonymous

• Take it away and do it now. If she's off of it and done, when you start one with the new baby she won't be trying to take it away from the baby or go into jealous fits because the baby gets one and you won't let her have it when you try to take it away after the baby is born.

At her age, she doesn't need it any more anyway.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:26 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• Just take it away and toss them out. We tried everything even put the last one in a build a bear so she could still "have" it but not suck on it and we still had 3 days of intense tears at nap and bed times. After the 3 days though she pretty much got over it. It's rough but from my experience and what I've heard from other moms it's all going to come down to taking them away cold turkey anyway.

Good luck.
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 7:38 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• Just help her through it. It will take a couple of days for her to get over it, but she will eventually be okay without it. DO NOT substitute something else for the pacifier though, that'll only cause another attatchment and cause more problems later. Just calm her down and reassure her that she's okay. She might scream it out a couple of nights, but she'll be okay.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 1:11 PM on Oct. 27, 2009