I've heard you should get the H1N1 vaccine, and I've heard its not worth it. What do you all think?

Is it no biggie b/c c'mon, people get the regular flu every year and its not really so much different... it isn't any more serious.

Or, It is a big deal... we aren't familiar with treatment for it like the normal flu, so the vaccine is very important.

i've heard a record number of kids have died from h1n1 compared to the regular flu.

So....

missbreezy214

Asked by missbreezy214 at 11:54 PM on Oct. 24, 2009 in Kids' Health

• http://www.nvic.org/Vaccines-and-Diseases/H1N1-SWINE-FLU.aspx
    :)
    Do your homework!
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 11:56 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• I was talking to a friend tonight, who is a nurse and works in a hospital, and asked her if she was getting the vaccine for her kids (they are one and four). She said no. Her main reason is because where we live, it is here, just like everywhere pretty much and they are going to be exposed before the vaccine is available. Also since they are under five it is two parts so by the time they get both parts, more time has passed for them to already be exposed. Which, honestly, her reasoning makes sense to me. Our doctor's offices don't even have the vaccine yet and the main high school in the area had 254 confirmed cases last week. We are all going to be exposed in the next couple of weeks.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:16 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• I personally do not believe in any type of flu shots!! But thats just me!!
    newlifewith3

Answer by newlifewith3 at 9:01 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• Out of curiosity I've been checking around. In my area, they are only giving H1N1 to high risk people. Many health care workers can't even get it.  The average family won't have any chance of getting it for quite a while.

It's a good possiblity most people in my area will be exposed before they ever have the chance of getting vaccinated.  My son's friend currently has it; it's in the school system.  Yet no vaccines are available. 

I'm not going to worry about it because I can't change anything with worry.  We will be cautious and hope for the best, because that is the only option. 

mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 5:48 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• Personally we do not do any flu shots and this one is definitely a no for us due to lack of testing. I personally believe if their immune systems are kept healthy with good food and supplements when needed they will fight this just like any other flu or cold they might get. I hear in our area there are huge waiting lists for the general public though and the number of cases is rising quickly around here. My niece just had it (we were not around her before or during thank goodness) and she was sick for 3 days and has had a slight cough for 2 more so far.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 5:56 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• We are NOT getting the vaccine. We don't get the seasonal flu vaccine either. It is available in our area, but I personally just don't see the need. It's the flu, it sucks, all flu sucks...but i do not believe that this one is any more of a threat than seasonal flu. We are combating it the way we do all illness, good diet, good vitamins, probiotics in our diet, etc. We are just starting to see cases in our area, so we stay home unless we need to go out to avoid alot of contact, we wash our hands, don't touch every little thing in the store, and practice good hygene.
    puddleybug

Answer by puddleybug at 1:46 AM on Oct. 26, 2009

• My daughter had H1N1 in May. It was the flu!! 3 days of fever (the highest was 102.5), a few more of cough and congestion, one really gross bloody nose. Neither my husband nor I contracted it.
    We are focusing on prevention. You can adjust your lifestyle a bit to build up your immune system. Not getting enough sleep can lower your resistance to disease. So can being dehydrated, so be sure to drink at least 8 8oz glasses of water a day. Alcohol, meat, dairy, highly processed foods like white sugar and white flour all weaken the immune system. Foods that build up the immune system include: fruits, vegetables, whole grains and legumes.
    If you choose to get the H1N1 vaccine, I strongly urge you to (at least for small children) have your health care provider order the single dose preservative free vaccine.

cont

Answer by rkoloms at 8:54 AM on Oct. 26, 2009

• As with other vaccines, the H1N1 vaccine is expected to be 60-80% effective. For all of us, those who choose to vax and those who don't, prevention is key. Here is what Dr Sears is saying about the vaccine: http://www.askdrsears.com/thevaccinebook/ . if you read through the comments, you will see that he is not getting the vax.
    You catch a virus by coming in contact with it; this is why hand washing is so important. Did you know that viruses can live on paper money for 9 days?
    I had been resisting supplementing with probiotics until I read this:
    With all the hype about the upcoming flu epidemic, and the pros and cons of vaccination, how can we protect our children and ourselves?

According to the results of a double-blind, placebo-controlled study reported in the August issue of PEDIATRICS, probiotics may be useful to prevent cold and influenza-like symptoms in children.

cont.

• Of 326 healthy children three to five years old, 104 were randomly assigned to receive placebo, 110 received _Lactobacillus acidophilus NCFM_ and 112 received a combination of _L acidophilus NCFM_ and _Bifidobacterium animalis subsp lactis Bi-07_.  The children were treated twice daily for 6 months...

Read the rest of the article here: http://cme.medscape.com/viewarticle/707328 

Answer by rkoloms at 8:55 AM on Oct. 26, 2009