Custom Catering

hi ladies i'm opening a custom catering buisness andwould like to see how interested other moms on here might be in the thought and if you have any suggestions that you could offer here the scenerio... would you hire a service that offers a variety of fresh home cooked meals that are delivered to your house hot and ready or ready to bake? as well as catering to special diets, i.e. cholesteral etc.
i'm a sahm and think it could be a fun thing to start any ideas what kind of fees i should be charging, all iteams would come in lasagna size foil, if hot. there would be all kinds of dishes and different menus to choose from. .... any other ideas i'm not thinking of? i'm going to start small then perhaps lease a kitchen or what not, i have my food handlers card. and a freind who'll assist me with legalitys..

mirit.rose

Asked by mirit.rose at 11:58 PM on Oct. 24, 2009 in Money & Work

• It would be a great thing to get for a new mom or someone dealing with a loss or illness.
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 12:00 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• We have a custom catering and home delivery place in our town. Their business is booming! I can't find their website at the moment, but I will try to find it tomorrow. Are you going to be doing this out of your home? If so, check with you state laws to see about kitchen licensing. If you are going to be doing it at a kitchen location, then I thought this would be neat- http://www.letseatdinner.com/expect/index.php

Each station has a different recipe for the customer to make. You would provide the ingredients and they would make it to take home and freeze. Then you would clean up the dishes. I love to cook but HATE cleaning the kitchen. If this was offered in my area, I would definitely use this service. Good Luck with your business.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 12:18 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• yes i've seen those places, their so neat! i will look into home licensing. at first it'll be based out of the house eventually a kitchen we have elderly and a newer upper class neighborhood nearby so hopefully ,, i'm sure it'll be good buisness will be overwhelming.. any ideas on menus and fees ?
    mirit.rose

Answer by mirit.rose at 12:23 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• You Go Diva!bow down

missinviting

Answer by missinviting at 2:35 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• I am curious about what steps you need to take to get a home kitchen certified. I was under the impression that it was easier and less expensive to lease commercial space.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:06 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• rkoloms- It depends on the state. Some states require you to have a completely seperate kitchen from the kitchen you use for your family. Other states (like mine) only require that you don't have any pets, no carpet in the kitchen, and it is clean upon inspection. You would need to contact the health department to find out what your state laws are.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 11:07 AM on Oct. 25, 2009