custom catering

hi ladies i'm opening a custom catering buisness andwould like to see how interested other moms on here might be in the thought and if you have any suggestions that you could offer here the scenerio... would you hire a service that offers a variety of fresh home cooked meals that are delivered to your house hot and ready or ready to bake? as well as catering to special diets, i.e. cholesteral etc.
i'm a sahm and think it could be a fun thing to start any ideas what kind of fees i should be charging, all iteams would come in lasagna size foil, if hot. there would be all kinds of dishes and different menus to choose from. .... any other ideas i'm not thinking of? i'm going to start small then perhaps lease a kitchen or what not, i have my food handlers card. and a freind who'll assist me with legalitys..

mirit.rose

Asked by mirit.rose at 12:00 AM on Oct. 25, 2009 in Food & Drink

• This is interesting because one of our papers ran a very long piece on four different people that do this here,I live in a very large city. This becoming a popular idea because it is an alternative to eating away every night.These people marketed themselves more on a weekly basis.people will order three or more main meals per week.The caterer has a schedule and prepares the meals for the week the day before, freezes them and delivers them the next day into the freezer.This would include sides.There were some customers they did breakfast this way along with dinner.The chefs had a menu with prices and would pick up the next weeks order when they dropped off.There are several small stores around me that have nothing but freezers full of frozen entrees,all types of sides,breakfast ,soups etc,All made on site.There is one that sells everything in a box raw.I never use them.Good luck It seems a popular alternative.

drfink

Answer by drfink at 12:06 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• Honestly, I'd have to be incredibly restricted to not cook for my family... like on bed rest threatening miscarriage.. and even then, my husband cooks. The only exception is if it would cost me less than cooking for myself, and I really think you should be charging more than that.

At first, you may want to price your meals compared to comparable restaurant/grocery foods. For example, if you're making spaghetti and Denny's sells it at $8 a plate, you might sell it for $5-6. But don't make spaghetti; it's entirely too easy to make at home.

I would definitely include salads and vegetables as options. I'd also include both pasta and meat dishes; not everyone likes both. And I think I'd offer meals that can be a minor hassle to make at home (for example, some people really don't like making homemade lasagna). Offer multiple sauce options for pastas. Offer stuffed pastas if you can. Offer roasts, holiday dinners, and fajita style.
    tyheamma

Answer by tyheamma at 11:11 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• cont.Their customer base seemed more moms that worked away from home.There were a lot of men that did this also.A complete meal for four was around forty-five .It depended on what was ordered.I have a friend that is a C.P.A. and when her boys were younger she worked school hours.Now they both are in high school and team sports so she gets home around when they do .Their dad can't figure out how to turn on a stove.Last year they ate at restaurants 4-5 times a week.This year she does this and loves it. She never loved cooking but likes eating at home after a day of work

drfink

Answer by drfink at 12:21 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• Well, I would market to working moms especially. The only SAHMs that I know that would go for your idea already have part time housekeepers (lucky them).

You don't want to price things too cheap- cause you don't want people to think of your food like fast food or diner food. I would go with "family friendly gourmet". Maybe you could offer half off of the first order or something- some kind of gimic to get people hooked.

ave.maria.

Answer by ave.maria. at 12:50 PM on Oct. 26, 2009