I want an Americana theme but my couch is green...

Our love seat and chair are olive green/ almost brown. They're pretty, but anyway I was kind of hoping to decorate in a red white and blue theme. What should I do? I once bought an inexpensive couch cover in navy and it faded badly. Would sheets work? Or...Any other ideas?

TXdanielly

Asked by TXdanielly at 12:03 AM on Oct. 25, 2009 in Home & Garden

• I would leave the sofa alone--sheets and sofa covers never stay nice looking--especially if you have children bouncing around! I would instead not limit myself to only red, white and blue, I'd add weathered pieces in mustard yellow, and antique replicas/pieces in rusty brown--like stacking boxes/trunk sets, along with burgundy colored accents--like pip berry branches, to pull the room together. A nice touch is adding coordinating plaid curtains and matching toss pillows--you can make your own panels and recover existing toss pillows with extra fabric!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 4:29 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• I used to use just a queen size flat sheet from Walmart to change the colors of my couch. I still have one on the chair as a matter of fact.. I bought the burgundy shade.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:05 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• Also, the higher quality slipcovers really are good. I had a demin one that I got on clearance from Pottey Barn and it lasted forever. The sheets would probably be ok, you could get a themed throw to put over the back too... I love the Americana theme. I have a lot of red in my home and some americana although not really a theme...
    momrocks1000

Answer by momrocks1000 at 12:17 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• hey i have a red white and blue dust ruffle for a bed.. wondering if that would work.. only the dust ruffle is colored but would be cute..
    drdoolittle

Answer by drdoolittle at 2:41 AM on Oct. 25, 2009