should i ask a doctor before starting my baby on formula...he is almost 4 months old and up until now is strickly breast fed only....what is the best formula to get...how should i go about introducing it to him???

HluvsAnR

Asked by HluvsAnR at 12:14 AM on Oct. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I used Similac Sensitive with my son. The Genlease stuff hurt his tummy.

If he's strickly breastfed now, why switch to formula?
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 12:18 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• i feel like im always trying to play catch up with pumping im working full time and at night i have to pump for the whole next day...im on a wait this for a nicer pump from WIC but im starting to lose hope and its just very stressful
    HluvsAnR

Answer by HluvsAnR at 12:23 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• I wanted to breast feed my daughter until she was 6 months old but I found that it was too demanding so i quit when she was 6 weeks old. I just substituted a bf bottle to see how she reacted and she liked it just fine so i used up all the breast milk that I stored and then went with strictly formula. She had a little constipation so I had to try a couple different formulas before I found one that worked for her. Theres no need to consult the doctor.
    drs1206

Answer by drs1206 at 12:40 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• That sounds very selfish of both of you, but do what you want.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 12:45 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• You can always keep bf at home and just send formula to daycare. There is no "best" formula, every baby has different needs. If you're on WIC anyway, you're not likely going to be able to get any formula you want - they contract with the companies and it differs from state to state. So start by talking to them about what you can get - sometimes the dieticians are a better help than the doctors when it comes to formula questions.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:46 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• I think it's fine that you're switching to formula- you know what your family needs are and what you can and can't handle and I don't think it's selfish at all (if my opinion matters any). Don't let others think you're selfish or a bad mom.

Anyhow, I don't know if you'd need to contact your dr. I would try your child on generic brand first because it's the cheapest and it will be easier on your budget. However, if you're on WIC They probably have a formula they sponsor. Just try one and then if your lo has a problem you can look into other formulas, at that point you'd probably want to ask your doctor what kind he/she would recommend.
    julipickle2

Answer by julipickle2 at 1:32 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• I stopped breastfeeding at 6 weeks also. My son takes enfamil premium lipil and does great with it. It is not selfish to switch, sometimes it just doesn't work out, and you can't beat yourself up about it. Sure breastmilk is best, but formula is good for them too. As long as your baby is fed and happy it shouldn't matter if it's formula or breastmilk.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:46 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• I'd also recommend not stopping nursing entirely. You can just nurse when you are together and use formula or pumped milk when you are apart. You can ask the doc, but you don't HAVE to. And the best formula is the one that your baby will take!
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 11:02 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• Do your best to keep up with the breastmilk. It is helping your precious one soo much!!! I know it is difficult but all good things tend to be the harder road. Think of baby and put her first. It will get easier for both of you with time. You are going through the rough patch now but the downhill is coming soon! YOU CAN DO IT!!! Just look into baby's eyes and I am sure you will see that baby deserves the best not the pain, discomfort, and lack of antibodies (especially during the winter months & the H1N1) that comes with formula.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:57 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• Asking your baby's Pedi is always a good idea, but it isn't required if transitioning your baby. Your Pedi would have great tips for you and also be able to suggest a formula that he feels would work well with your baby. I have always used Enfamil Lipil with Iron. My son has been on that since he was born and has had absolutely no issues with it. Every child is different though. I have heard that babies who are strictly breastfed don't always take to formula right away. I would contact different manufactures and request a sample of their product. That way you can test out different formulas without having to fork over tons of money.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:32 PM on Oct. 25, 2009