18 month old refusing to eat almost everything

My 18 month old daughter is refusing to eat almost everything at home but when she goes to daycare she will eat everything. I have tried making the things they make and it doesn't help. Not sure what to do. The only things i can really get to eat at home are cheerios and bananas. Any suggestions?

jlf783

Asked by jlf783 at 12:22 AM on Oct. 25, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Maybe the problem is not the food maybe it is the way it is presented. Maybe try to find a seat like they use at daycare and find out exactly how her food is given to her. Maybe she just isn't hungry at that time and needs a different meal schedule?
    justluvinmyson

Answer by justluvinmyson at 12:39 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• She could be eating better at daycare because she sees other kids eating there. My SIL has the same problem - her DD is almost 3, and is the worst eater at home where she's the only child, but at my house she eats like crazy, she eats everything put in front of her at daycare, and she even eats well for my mom (no other kids, just her & Grandma).
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:42 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• all kids go through that stage, they will eat when they are hungry, but dont offer then anything in between meals(if they wont eat the meal) and dont give them what THEY want give them whatever you make for dinner or lunch. they will learn to eat when they are suppose to and what is offered.
    Dusti3

Answer by Dusti3 at 12:45 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• Some kids at that age won't eat when their mother is paying attention to them. I have two friends whose kids are about 18 months and they are both doing this. One of them also puts her son in daycare, and he eats pretty well there like your daughter. Personally, my son is having control issues, and even though he can't feed himself very well with utensils, he won't eat unless he is doing it. Some days he just spits everything out except yogurt and crackers.
    kikikiki

Answer by kikikiki at 8:24 AM on Oct. 25, 2009