Interested in the real differences between liberal leaning and conservative leaning?

I was, so I looked for an unbiased source. If you are interested in some interesting social/psychological information, please follow the link. The article is very informative and after reading it, I am most certainly a moderate--liberal in some areas, conservative in others. It seems, I am that kid standing on the middle of the see-saw and trying to keep balance!

http://www.karlbranting.net/papers/LiberalsConservatives.pdf

Some excerpts:
This study identified a number of psychological motives and tendencies that are strongly associated with liberal/conservatism. These motives and tendencies can be divided into three categories:
(1) individual psychological traits
(2) culture and ideology
(3) situations that trigger fear, insecurity, or anger.
...conservatives are more intolerant, close-minded,
and mentally rigid than liberals, and less able to see the world from an alternative moral standpoint.
(to be con't)

PsWifey

Asked by PsWifey at 12:32 AM on Oct. 25, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• PsWifey, the article makes a lot of sense, we are products of our environment also, we get our basic on our thinking at home, as young ones. The article is very long and I doubt most will read it because of this but it is really very interesting physological read. Totally agree with sweet-a-kins too!

Answer by older at 1:22 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• “liberals don't appreciate the extent to which issues such as
    gay marriage are morally conflicting for conservatives; it's not that conservatives don't
    care about fairness and equal rights, it's that they also care about in-group loyalty,
    traditional family structures, and spiritual purity. Recognizing that conservatives have a
    variety of moral concerns which liberals do not share and often do not recognize as
    legitimate can help liberals better understand conservatives and respond to their
    arguments.”

Nothing is ever as it seems, is it? Both sides need to take a step back and to borrow a phrase I read in an earlier post, stop painting with the broad brush. Am I guilty, yes...will I strive to avoid that trap? Yes...will you?

Please read it--the psychology of politics is quite fascinating!
    PsWifey

Answer by PsWifey at 12:34 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• Ok, I read the article, and it doesn't address actual thought, simply personality traits.
    For instance, I disagree with the minimum wage requirements, for a host of reasons, all because I've worked in business, not because I fear change, or follow the group. Simply put, If my payroll is a thousand dollars, it doesn't magically grow more money because the government says it should. It just shrinks hours.
    Not to mention uncle Sam giving the worst of the worst of your employees a raise, which you had been denying on merits and work ethic. Oh gee, whose hours should I cut? Hmm, let me see, the guy who just got a raise he didn't deserve.
    Paying lazy people more money does not make them work harder. Con't
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 1:20 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• It just makes them more likely to get fired.
    I definitely think the second theory was more likely to be accurate, but it also didn't address fiscal conservatism, but more sociological, and you'll find more moderate social conservatives that don't fit into that bill at all. They just want the gov to stop spending our future into oblivion. All in all, I think to present a fairer picture of conservatism, they should've included an actual conservative on the research team.
    JMO
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 1:26 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• loving..

There is no actual true conservative..just the same there is no true liberal...Maybe you should open up your horizons a little more!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:53 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• My personal life experiences are what have shaped my political views--as I've grown and aged, I've gone from liberal to conservative/moderate. I can't stand those who do not work to better themselves, who opt in making a harder life for themselves than need be, and wait for others to give them what they want/need. I lived with such people, and I thought it was an incredulous attitude to have--so I automatically dismiss anyone who uses those same kinds of excuses, as to why they can't get ahead!

My Catholic upbringing has little to do with my conservative side. I'm raising my boys Catholic because I want them to comprehend that there is something bigger in this world than them, and reinforce morals and values beyond what I teach at home. After Confirmation, I'll let them choose if they want to continue actively practicing--as my husband and I had this choice. Tragedies don't make me more conservative--just life, in general!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:02 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• PsWifey, IMO, this is a touchy-feely article. Loving is right. I am against a government spending too much, creating massive debt that a future generation will have to pay for. It speaks nothing of supportinga laissez faire approach to the Federal Government.
    I don't follow a group. How many times do I have to say~ I am for ssm, based on the STATES. I am pro choice(within the scope of the Hyde Ammendment), based on the STATES, and I am for the leaglization of maurijuanna, based on the STATES. I do NOT believe in a big FEDERAL GOVERNMENT. Financially, I am as Conservative as they come.
    IMO, liberal media is trying to analyze and dissect conservatives. CNN just did this not too long ago. The pychology of Conservatives. Please.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 8:17 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• Kinda limited. I'm a fiscal conservative, but a social liberal. For instance, I dislike government control and big spending, but support gay marriage.

There ARE Pagan and Atheist conservatives, and strict Catholic liberals. You can't be so limited in your views as to think all conservatives and liberals are the same.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 10:05 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• The whole point is that political affiliation has virtually nothing to do with government or politics--the attitudes come from personality traits and thus are far more ingrained in individual behavior than most realize. I am not suggesting all are the same at all--I am suggesting there are specific psychological traits and influences that bear affect on the political path one chooses to follow. The article is not meant to be a touchy-feely thing at all--it is a psychological study. Both sides are discussed, neither with bias. The article has nothing to do with government but individual preferences and how those preferences are formed.

PsWifey

Answer by PsWifey at 12:51 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• “liberals don't appreciate the extent to which issues such as gay marriage are morally conflicting for conservatives; it's not that conservatives don't care about fairness and equal rights, it's that they also care about in-family structures, and spiritual purity. Recognizing that conservatives variety of moral concerns which liberals do not share and often do not recognize as legitimate can help liberals better understand conservatives and respond to their arguments.”

For me personally, I think this is pretty dead on. I am pro gay rights because I think everyone deserves teh same rights on America and don't understand the thinking in people who don;t see it that way. But I hear a lot that its about perserving tradition and things of that nature. My answer is, The good od days weren;t always good and tomorrow aint as bad as it seems....Billy Joel! lol

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 1:14 PM on Oct. 25, 2009