ok mommies, i need your response please....why is it that i get so much crap for putting my daughter on a schedule and feeding her healthy foods?

I have had so many ppl pass judgement on me because I put my daughter on a schedule and decided not to give her anythg unhealthy until she reaches a certain age. I am writing a paper about the opinions of other ppl and I need yours! What I mean by schedule is she eats roughly at the same time every day, snacks and all. And she has fairly the same ritual to sleep every night and is laying down in her own bed by 7 pm and wakes at 6/7 am next morning. We only feed her whole wheat, organic fruits & veggies. No butter, oil or sweets until she's about 2. She is only 10 mths. I DONT bash anyone for not doin what I do. Please help me understand your reasons for agreeing or NOT agreeing with me? Thanks!

ProudMammaMia

Asked by ProudMammaMia at 12:43 AM on Oct. 25, 2009 in General Parenting

• I wish I could help you, but I have the same problem.
    justluvinmyson

Answer by justluvinmyson at 12:44 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• I get crap too. This is why. Everyone has an opinion...in my case, my MIL likes to voice her opinion too much. In this case, I think it's because she eats unhealthy and is lazy and wants to justify her actions by trying to make me feel bad for doing the right thing (or what I think is) for m dd. She's just too lazy to eat right and have some discipline.
    KaceesMom

Answer by KaceesMom at 12:48 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• I think having kids on a schedule is a GOOD thing. Predictability creates stability, and stability creates trust. Also, children learn through repetition and being able to predict what comes next. I catch some flak from people about having my kids on a schedule too, but they do well with it.
    As far as the food thing - it's up to you what you feed your child. People should be more careful about what they are putting in their bodies. Of course you want your child to be healthy and grow up to make smart food choices. There's nothing wrong with that.

Answer by missanc at 12:49 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• I agree with you! I just wish that I could do things for my family that way, ie keep on a schedule, and get healthier food. Right now, I have my kids and dh, as well as my granddaughter (who just turned 1), so some days are super hectic, and others I can get things together pretty well! Tell me your secret, please!!!
    29again

Answer by 29again at 12:52 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• Honestly I think its great that you are feeding your DD healthy. I really wish we could afford organic foods but having fresh veggies & fruit is expensive enough! As far as a routine goes if thats what works for you then great. All the experts say routine is good for little ones. We dont use routine so well here I mean there is a fair amount of it but things are usualy just whatever & our DD has issues with following rules, I dont know if maybe this is in part of the fact that things are not always the same thing every day. If it works for you & your family then thats what you need to be doing, nothing wrong with any of it.
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 12:52 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• I appreciate the great feedback so far ladies! I can use all of this. I still can't wait for someone to disagree only because I want to try to understand it thru their eyes. Oh BTW just because she on a schedule doesn't mean we do the same thing everyday, that would be boring. What I mean is we go out about our day but when it comes to feeding time and sleepong time she is roughly eating at the same time no matter what.
    ProudMammaMia

Answer by ProudMammaMia at 1:00 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• I think the reason why other parents look down on scheds for their kids is because they are to lazy to set one up for them. Parents are to into themselves to really think about how their children should be raised , so basicly they dont make the time. I believe children should have some kind of a sched. it helps them grow and to get ready for thier school years when they start. They already have a structure when they start school. I wouldn't worry about it, if your 10 month old is comfy with the routine stick with it. Your baby is trained in someway on when he/she is going to eat and when its time for bed. My son who is 2 knows when its almost bed time because at 7pm every night I tell him its quiet time and we play in his room and read a book and talk quietly take a bath things like that. It worked for my daughter who is now 18, shes still not a morning person, wasn't when she was little and still isn't LOL I hope this helps
    JoAnn39

Answer by JoAnn39 at 1:28 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• I can't help you, because I have mine on a schedule and they eat pretty healthy too. Their bedtime since they were born has been 8 o'clock and they usually wake up around 7-8 o'clock in the morning, they have breakfast at 8:30, lunch at 12:00, snack at 2:00 and dinner at 6:00. I don't disallow any sweets, we don't have soda in our home, but on holidays I do lighten up and allow some of the holiday spirit to come out. Aside from this their usual food is pretty much the same; for snacks they go through two bags of apples a week and a couple bundles of banana's/oranges (depending upon which we bought), and we cook all our meals from scratch.

I've known others that are different from us and I respect them as I expect they do the same from me, luckily I know good people that do. Sorry if you've ran into a few rotten people to be around :( hopefully they'll come around and learn to respect others that may differ from them.
    Knightquester

Answer by Knightquester at 2:09 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• the food thing...ahhh its hard for me to think about not letting my dd eat french fries and ice cream, she's only 7 months but when she's older i will probably let her occasionally. my definition of occasionally is 1-2/a week. i think the biggest struggle for me will be telling her no, and then she says "but mommy, why do you get to eat whatever you want?" lol. if i make my dd eat healthy, i have to eat healthy too. easier said than done cuz i have a major sweet tooth. i'm going to def say "no soda" cuz i cant stand seeing young kids drinking all that sugar and caffeine.
    Bernie19

Answer by Bernie19 at 2:30 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• clearly those who are passing judgement either have no children or have really awful,cranky,rowdy ones.Cuz a 10mth old SHOULD be on a schedule&holding foods will prevent bad eating habits,rotten teeth&obesity,keep doing what your doing those who pass judgement r just jealous &dont wnt to follow a schedule themselves .
    My son is on a schedule it used to be strict one but i get tired these days but he still, eats plays,naps etc. about same day everyday.we go for a walk at night before bedtime stuff like,bath read, etc. I think it jst helps a child they sleep better and can react to some change better.The obesity rate in very young children is awful i cant stand watching a 1,2,3yr old scarfing down a grownup meal from mcdonalds its jst wrong,especially with their VERY obese parents, is that messed up to say??I dont care, they clearly Dont.
    mommame19

Answer by mommame19 at 4:18 AM on Oct. 25, 2009