need something cheap-ish and portable, yet SAFE (for 0mths+). any ideas?

We got a bassinet at Walmart, the cheap white one with the pink or blue ribbons, and we didn't think much about it until after we washed the stuff and put it on the mattress, and then we realized how flimsy it seems! The sides are floppy and when we put the sheet on the little mattress it just rolled it up and it's obviously unsafe. I want something that's portable yet safe, but I don't know what to get, cause I don't want to spend tons of money. The 100 dollar bassinet looked even MORE flimsy. We looked at the portable playard things, but the ones with bassinets made into them are expensive, and the other kind seems annoying for a new born, cause he'd be so low to the ground and hard to pick up. Any ideas?? Am I just gonna have to fork out 100 plus dollars if I want something decent?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:59 AM on Oct. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• the playpen bassinet thing is the best. Its portable and its got long term use. U will/can be using the playpen for over a year. I'd strongly recommend it.
    I always thought bassinets were a little silly b/c they are only good for a little while the playpen is good for about 18+ months. If you look at it that way its not so costly.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 4:50 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• try a resale shop? Did you look at those half size playpens with the bassinet insert?
    OwensMama824

Answer by OwensMama824 at 1:04 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• Craigslist.com might find something there.
    How about a playpen with a bassinet top? We had one of those & it was great I loved that thing until ours got recalled lol I think ours was a $100 though so you may just be stuck with shelling out a little extra to get what you want/need. I'd def look at playpens though.
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 1:06 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• i found a kolcraft bassinet at kmart for $40 didn't have any problems with it at all. you have to remember, even though that cloth may look like if someone rammed into it it'll fall apart, its a newborn baby, they don't move around.
    jessil83

Answer by jessil83 at 1:07 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• maybe use this? Infantino Travel Bed - Infantino  - Babies"R"Us $40 at babies r us

Graco Travel Lite Crib - Cabo - Graco  - Babies"R"Us $90 at babies r us

OwensMama824

Answer by OwensMama824 at 1:09 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• My friend bought a playpen/bassinet/changing table. She got it from Burlington Coat Factory for $100. In her city she says that they have a yahoo group for FreeCycle. So its _____(your city/community name) FreeCycle. They give items away for free that people store in their garage.
    TummyPrincess

Answer by TummyPrincess at 2:24 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• A dresser drawer is a traditional baby cot -- just put it on the floor, so it can't fall off anything.

A laundry basket would work as well...
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 3:03 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• my pack n play with bassinet is portable and not flimsy at all was around 88 dollars at k mart it's one of the sesame street ones ( not on the recall lists)
    freshly.married

Answer by freshly.married at 11:01 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• thanks yall!! :)
    Anonymous