I know you're not supposed to compare children, but deep down don't you sincerely want yours to be better than everyone elses'?

I don't mean to sound shallow, but I sincerely want my DD to do better, to learn quicker, to be smarter than all of the other kids. Am I honestly the only one who feels this way??

I am not a bad mom, I don't FORCE her, and I don't get disappointed when she doesn't do something "right" or something that I want. I just WANT her to be the best at everything. PS she is only 17 months old. AND I don't brag to people about the great things she does.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:04 AM on Oct. 25, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• well im giong to teach my daughter failure is not an option! im going to push her as hard as i can and put her in whatever activities sports music classes languauge lessons as i possibly can to make sure she is doing more things and achieving more than other kids!! im going to give her so much in life that she can do nothing in her older years BUT BE SUCCESSFUL AND INTELLiGENT..and i dont care who bashes me for thinking this way!
    mommy16love

Answer by mommy16love at 4:56 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• Well of course we do. Yeah, I'm proud when my kids' teachers tell me how good they are doing in school, or when they are played a lot on their sports teams. I don't think that any parent wants their kid to be mediocre, and I have - in coversations with my hubby - compared our kids to other kids, I just don't do it around the kids.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 1:13 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• What do you mean? my kids ARE better then everyone else.

lol j/k

But in all honesty, of course you want that. All parents only want what is best for their children and often times that includes BEING the best as well.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:17 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• My son will never learn the best, or the most or the fastest. That is something I've come to accepts. Brandon has Down syndrome. So my answer is no i don't. What I do sincerely want is for him to be the best possible, most loving and giving person he can be. And that I am given the grace to lead him in that direction.

kimsardo

Answer by kimsardo at 1:17 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• dont feel bad hun, deep down inside everyone feels that way.
    Dusti3

Answer by Dusti3 at 1:42 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• I have always believed that if you strive for perfection, it will be an every day let down, thats not saying to not do your best tho, i dont want my son to be "better" than everyone else, i want him to be my son, and to do well at what he does,and more importantly to just be happy. I would never want him to ever think he was "better" than anybody.... were all equal.
    HaviksMum

Answer by HaviksMum at 1:56 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• What do you mean? my children are the best..... lol joking
    TummyPrincess

Answer by TummyPrincess at 2:17 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• No. I do not want my son to be better than all other children. However, I do feel pride in his accomplishments and provide a lot of praise. But I refuse to compare or push him to be something that he is not. He is just perfect the way he is!
    ShadesofGrey

Answer by ShadesofGrey at 2:30 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• No, I want them to be the best that they can be for themselves, and if they can't do things so well to at the least try their best, that is all I can ask. I have four children and they are all special and different. What one may be talented in, the other may not, however they do not bring each other down, nor do they bring their peers down if they are better in an area than another person. That’s not the way I'm raising them.

I have lots of children other than my own I care deeply about and want them to succeed in life as much as my own. So no, I don't think of mine as being the crème de la crème, nor have I ever seen a child and thought of them that way.
    Knightquester

Answer by Knightquester at 2:48 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• nope. i don't care who my kids are better than. i want them to put their heart into everything they do and do it to the best of thier abilities. i don't care if someone else is better than them, they are my children and i will be proud of them so long as they do their best.
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 3:30 AM on Oct. 25, 2009