My sister's cell phone was stolen. Anyone have any useful advice?

My sister is 14 and was at the park near my parents' house with her friends. She put her phone on the bench while they played in the grass (not the best choice). There were some teen boys nearby and one of them must have taken it because it was gone a few minutes later. She went home and told my parents about it and they filed a police report. Well my parents aren't too technologically savvy and didn't figure much damage could be done since they have unlimited text and free weekends. By the time they told me about it this afternoon the guy who stole it had racked up over $200 worth of downloads! They called Tmobile and suspended the account, but Tmobile said that my parents are responsible for any charges made before the phone was shut off. I spent some time calling a few of the numbers this guy had been calling today and couldn't get any useful info. The phone doesn't have GPS turned on.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:04 AM on Oct. 25, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Your parents need to send the company the police report because once a police report was filed it shouldn't be your parents responsilbity..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:06 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• If you get a hold of the person who has the phone, or someone who knows them offer them $. If you want/ need the phone that bad for photos/numbers whatever.
    kimsardo

Answer by kimsardo at 1:12 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• Lesson learned...always call the phone company IMMEDIATELY after the phone is stolen and report it to the phone company. My 19yo had his phone stolen a year ago and within 15 min. it was off. He was at work and it fell out of his pocket. As it happened we showed up where he works minutes after he lost it and we called his phone. Someone answered it and I told them it would be turned off and my husband called and had it cut off. No one had a chnace to rack up charges.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:54 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• Anon in case you didn't notice the title, I asked for useful advice.

I know calling is the first thing to do... that's why I did it as soon as I found out. I am looking for useful advice not a lecture.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:12 AM on Oct. 25, 2009