What comes after breastmilk?

This might be a dumb question lol......I plan on breastfeeding my daughter until she is a year old and she is 7 months right now. What do they drink after they've been taken off breasmilk/formula? I'm curious because my daughter doesn't take to formula and didn't know if this would be a problem in the future. Thanks!

holls85

Asked by holls85 at 1:11 AM on Oct. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

Level 2 (-73 Credits)
  • Anything. I give my daughter water, whole milk and a little bit of juice sometimes. She's 17 months... but still breastfed, though.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 1:13 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• So if I think she may have a milk protein allergy I should have her tested before giving her anything else? She's never spit up my breastmilk but she projectile vomits almost every formula we've given her.
    holls85

Answer by holls85 at 1:15 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• Whole milk usually takes the place of breastmilk at one year if you decide to wean. Some people say that babies don't need milk at 1 yr, and that may be the case but you still need to make sure they're getting plenty of dairy in their diet daily through yogurts, cheeses, etc.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:17 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• She could be spitting up formula for a number of reasons, if she had a milk allergy and if you eat dairy products you would know that she was allergic to it. My daughter was breastfed and had a milk allergy and so she had blood in her stools everytime I ate something with milk, even if it had barely any milk in it at all.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:18 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• Soy milk is another option. She doesn't need formula after a year. You can also pump if when u stop ur still engorged and give her bm.
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 1:19 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• Well the reason I'm stopping bfing at 1 year is I need to work more hours because we're not doing so hot with money and it's a hassle to have to pump when I'm working *especially for my boss*. I drink milk all the time and I figured if I did and she didn't react to it then that wouldn't be the case.
    holls85

Answer by holls85 at 1:22 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• Soy milk doesn't have the right nutrition in it for that second year (between 1 and 2) and is high in sugar and estrogen.

If you're drinking milk a lot and there seems to be no problem then I'm sure your child will be just fine on whole milk.

One tip: if your daughter doesn't take to it right away try warming it up a bit- since she'll be used to your warm breastmilk it will make the transition a lot easier.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:24 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• Working more doens't require weaning --not at all. It also doesn't (at a year, or even 7mo) require pumping. Your body adapts to when the baby or toddler is around to nurse... very quickly at that point.

What babies drink after weaning is whatever people drink. Since pop shouldn't be in anyone's diet (fine once in a while, but not regularly), it certainly has no place in a child's diet. Be cautious about juice, it's not food, but it has a lot of calories -kids who drink a lot (more than 1/4c/day) tend to be shorter (because juice lacks protein) and more obese than kids who drink minimal amounts.

With a full mixed diet, beverages are mostly for fluids, not nutrients.

Weaned humans (like all other mammals) have no need for other species' milks. They're nutritious foods, but optional, not required.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 3:02 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• whole milk is the typical. If she does not do well try goats milk (more hypoallergenic) and/or Lactose free milk. Just as long as its WHOLE milk
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 4:48 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• Talk to your pediatrician about it, but if you've been drinking milk then she shouldn't have a problem with regular milk.

Soy would be just fine.

She could also go on 2%, they can get "the fat they need for brain development" from other sources.

If she's not eating a balanced diet of table foods, she shouldn't be going on milk anyway. Until she gets her nutrition from food, she needs either breastmilk or formula.

And juice has nothing to do with one's height. For crying out loud, your height is in your genes.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:20 AM on Oct. 25, 2009