Will all the "green" things that so many people are doing here in America really make a difference

if China continues to be like this?

http://www.chinahush.com/2009/10/21/amazing-pictures-pollution-in-china/

outstandingLove

Asked by outstandingLove at 1:20 AM on Oct. 25, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• The problem is green 'technology'. Technology can't solve everything, and green 'technology' is no more sustainable than most coal factories. Someone else said it best ~ it makes people 'feel' good.

The only thing that will make a difference is sustainable practices, and those take more time, less technology, and the end product costs more. Most Americans are too spoiled and too conditioned to 'instant' gratification to consider sustainable alternatives. Most will opt fo green 'technology' so they feel good and don't have to give up anything. Sad, but true.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 11:27 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:20 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• Less than 100 years ago, the US was exactly like that. I believe they'll figure it out, too.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 2:47 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• I don't think it will make that much of a difference. Recycling is good, re-using is good, and not polluting so much is good. But, I believe that using green technology will cost us more in the long run.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 4:02 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• won't anyway. too many selfish ones out there that won't bother to clean up after their filthy selves or companies
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:18 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• Nope. It won't make a bit of a difference--it just makes people feel good!

Now, if North America were encased a bubble, THEN I could see the positive effect of "green technology." But with that pesky jet stream, those ocean currents, and countries who do not use precious resources wisely, even if everyone in this country were to live like the Amish, we'd STILL have acid rain, "climate change,: CO2 problems, etc.!!!

But don't tell those who've invested heavily in green technology--their portfolios are depending on everyone going along with it!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:36 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• I think some of our "green" policies we have passed and are allowing to be considered are too far to one side. They put the environment over human life; however, I think we do have to be good stewards of our planet. There has to be a common sense component to any legislation about the environment. The EPA has too far of a reach and too much power. I am very glad that we do try to take care of our little piece of ground. When you see pictures like that, you realize that all the climate change talks you have aren't going to mean anything when large nations like China don't care.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 9:47 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• LindaClement
    Less than 100 years ago, the US was exactly like that. I believe they'll figure it out, too.

Make that less than 30 years ago
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:55 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• I live pretty green. Do I think it will change anything? NO. I do it because it's important to me.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 9:59 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• jesse

I feel that our environment IS part of our human life. without it, we would be nothing.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 12:27 PM on Oct. 25, 2009