If you plan on trick-or-treating, will your toddlers be allowed to eat their candy?

My son is 14 months and I plan on letting him eat whatever he can, in moderation of course. Daddy and I will be having all of the snickers, reeses cups, butter fingers.... stuff he can't have or chew yet. He can have his lolli pops, kit kats, hershey bars, the softish stuff with no nuts. (yes bad mom for letting my baby enjoy halloween and the candy that comes with it)

How do you do your kid's candy?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:55 AM on Oct. 25, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my daughter doesn't get all hers, mommy and daddy steal some of it :) but otherwise, she can have 2 pieces that night and than over the next however long it is she can have a piece possibly two a day.
    jessil83

Answer by jessil83 at 1:58 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• My boys are almost 4 and almost 5.
    I plan on being very picky choosey about what they will be allowed to keep from their bag.
    Then the rest of it will be taken away in exchange for X number of toys (for each of them) from the dollar store.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 2:00 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• the 15 month old will get a piece or 2, and that's it. the 4 year old will get to pick out 1 a day for a week or 2, then it will 'disappear'. that's more than they need.
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 3:33 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• my dd is 2 1/2 ill be lettig her have whatever candy she wants. in moderation. But the dentists say its better to let your child eat all there candy at once vs a piece every day. obviously its not the same for their bellies so that dosent always work. Halloween is once a year i dont see why we should pick out what our kids hsould an shouldnt have unless its based on like what they can chew and everything. They dont eat junk everyday or all the time so why not.
    OliviasMommy614

Answer by OliviasMommy614 at 4:25 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• Why can't he have Reese's cups? All those candy bars you named are processed in the same plants, and are cross-contaminated with nuts and peanuts. If you're going to allow that exposure, why not the Reeses's cups? They're soft, he can chew them.

Personally, I see the lollipops as more of a danger...coming off the stick and right down the throat.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:24 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• My DD wil be two. She will be allowed a few pieces and that's it. I don't allow many sweets in my house. We are going trick-or-treating mostly just to see the other kids :~)
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 7:24 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• My son is two. I don't give him many sweets at all. I don't plan on starting him on candy. So no, I don't plan on giving him any.
    KidsFashions

Answer by KidsFashions at 7:43 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• I'm not really sure yet. Last year my son was 2 and really wasn't very interested in eating the candy...he just wanted to knock on the doors. I only finally threw out his old candy from last year about 2 months ago. I'm pretty sure this year will be a different story though....my plan is to ration it out. Give him a piece here and there but I'm fairly certain it'll end up going like this: "Mommy, I want candy, mommy candy, mommy candy,mommy candy, mommy candy,mommy candy, mommy candy,mommy candy, mommy candy,mommy candy, mommy candy,mommy candy, mommy candy..." and I will say "take it! Just take the candy and stop whining!"
    Kimposible

Answer by Kimposible at 7:56 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• My son will get whatever candy he can eat. Probably 1 piece a day, mostly just the plain chocolates.
    kikikiki

Answer by kikikiki at 8:12 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• Yep, my son is 2 1/2 and he'll get a few pieces that night and the rest will go into a candy bowl that we all will eat from over the next few weeks.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 8:50 AM on Oct. 25, 2009