What are you views on food stamps?

I work over 50 hours a week. I dont have health insurance (although Im getting it from the state now). My husband worked 40 hours a week but was laid off. We pay all of our other bills but recently applied for food stamps. Our family is getting $500 a month. I had no idea we'd get that much. Im not proud I'm on food stamps, but I kind of feel that we're exactly the type of family that should be allowed this kind of benefit from the state. The money that I would be spending on food is going into savings now, so hopefully next year, we dont have to keep using them, provided my husband is back to work.

$500 is a lot for groceries. We've never spent that much on groceries. I get a lot of dry and canned goods to save, plus stuff for sandwiches. Nothing extravagant. So would you think it was terrible if I bought a steak once in awhile?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:25 AM on Oct. 25, 2009 in Food & Drink

• anon :51 you assume too much too fast...for one you dont know how many kids she has, and its only 50 hours for the entire family cause her husband was laid off...plus for all you know shes making 6 bucks an hour.....depending on where she lives that could be crappy! especially in areas where a friggin one bedroom apartment can go for over a thousand dollars...they base the amount you qualify for based on the state you live in and its economy.
    i was recieving foodstamps for a while because i was on medical leave through my work...and my husband only makes 8 bucks an hour and works about 20 hours a week...it wasnt enough for us to survive on. we got around 470 a month in foodstamps. Well im starting back at work, im only up to 30 hrs a week for now to help me get back on my feet...but now we make too much for foodstamps...it kinda sucks because my first paycheck wont be for another two weeks...in the meatime we scrimp on food
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 8:16 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• It's here for you to buy any kind of food product so go live a little and don't feel bad about it, and if any one has a problem with it, who cares, they are food stamps for you and your family.
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 3:39 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• Hun, splurge once in a while! It's good for you to ENJOY a meal once in a while! And I know what you mean, I got laid off, and now get FS, and we get more $ for food than I could have done if I was working. Crazy, isn't it???
    29again

Answer by 29again at 3:42 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• if you are not eating steak every night u are good but every one deserves a good steak so often
    michellej135

Answer by michellej135 at 3:49 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• girl i now what you mean ..my husband just lost his job i apply for food stamp ,WE ARE 7 people AT HOME we are getting 952.00 a month.. gosh I'm talking about a lot of food. GEEZ! we have never spend the much money on food. i guess it will be a lot of steak and shrimps for us..b/c i was tire of eating chicken almost everyday b/c it was the cheapest thing.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:39 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• Not trying to be mean or anything but WTF! The two of you work that many hours and you still need food stamps? You need to find new jobs! There is no way in hell I would work that many hours and still need food stamps to make ends meet. How much are you getting paid?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:51 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• It is there for families who need it. I was liking what what you said until I got to the part about you putting money into your savings. If you have money to put in savings because you are on FS now, then you DON'T need it. It's not there to help you save money and put it on the side.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:04 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• I wish I could get food stamps then I could save all the money I spend on food into my savings account, and that would be nice. I am all for helping someone but to me the food stamp thing is way out of control. It is amazing how financially this world is in such trouble, yet the food stamps seem to give out way more then some need. Sometimes these cards are used to purchase crabs, seafood things which are enjoyment not necessities. Yet, here I work everyday and cannot afford to pay for crabs. While someone who works under the table (making more money then I do) and receives food stamps invites people over for crabs. To me that is just usig the system, which it seems is the norm these days. Absolutely amazing.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:29 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• The state as guildelines. They go on the amount of money you make per month, the cost of living where you live, how many people in the household, how much assets you have, how much you have in bank accounts.

So if you meet the State requirements, don't feel guilty for applying. You PAY YOUR TAXES every year. Your tax dollars have been reserved back for you in times of need, and for others. Its a great system.

Besides, most people use them temporary untill they get back on their feet. I believe the state gives you a time limit to use them.

If you fall under the catagory of FS, there are so many other things the state will offer too. Such as WIC, if you are expecting a baby, they will give you high protein, diary foods to make sure you have a healthy baby, then after your baby is born they pay for your formual, cereal, and food for the baby for 1 year. This program is available at your local health department
    Give-A-Book

Answer by Give-A-Book at 8:31 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• I get foodstamps and buy all organic food for me and my kids. It's your money to spend.
    If you really feel that guilty, cancel them and start using your savings money as your food money...
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 8:53 AM on Oct. 25, 2009