How do I get over separation anxiety?

I can't bear to be away or even sleeping while he is here or sleep. This is my 5th pregnancy but first live child and I'm afraid to leave or be without him because he may not wake up, or someone might mis handle him. He sleeps on me at night (he is safe), and he will not sleep by himself in a pack n play or swing or carseat. He sleeps his best and my best when he sleeps on me.

BlakesMommy2009

Asked by BlakesMommy2009 at 6:52 AM on Oct. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I can totally empathize! It has taken a 4 months for me to really be okay leaving my LO for more than a few hours and I still have to check her breathing. I don't like leaving her with someone I don't know or who doesn't take care of her like I would (i.e. MIL). But having someone you trust take care of your LO is important. I would have that person come over and take care of the baby while you are there so you can observe (and get some stuff done!). Then, start with short trips away and work your way up to longer trips.
    As for the sleeping thing, I'm still right there with you. I can't sleep well without her really close and she has yet to sleep more than 20 min in her crib.... still working on that one!
    jessmered

Answer by jessmered at 12:16 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• It just takes time. I know exactly how you feel.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:53 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• im the same way,my little one is 16 months and im even afraid to leave her alone for to long ith hubby.she sleeps with me and everything.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 12:13 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• I'm right there with you! I have a 2 1/2 month old and I left him for 2 hours one day so that I could get my hair done, and that's the longest I've left him! And then I felt really bad afterwards and haven't left him for more than a few minutes since! He doesn't sleep with me though (he sleeps in his bassinet next to my bed) but now he's outgrowing it and I am not ready to move him into his crib in the other room. So I'm trying to figure out what to do. I think its just a mothering thing. You feel that no one else can care for you baby as well as you (which is probably true) and you just love him/her so much that they are like a part of you. And its like a piece of you is missing when you/they are away. At least that's how I feel. My mom says it will pass with time.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 2:22 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• My infant son stopped breathing while I was in the shower and my husband was supposed to be watching him. I had to do CPR. He also had seizures. He slept on my chest for months. I was always afraid he was going to die. They never figured out why he had the seizures. They just stopped when he was 3.

It was around then that I stopped being so concerned and started really attaching.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:33 PM on Oct. 25, 2009