My 1 yr old is scaring me!

My daughter Jayci just turned 1 on oct. 5. She has always been a really good baby and has never been much of a needy baby. Recently she has been throwin outragious fits in the car, we cant get her to stop crying for nothing at all...she screams at the top of her lungs when its bed time even though her big sister is in the room with her...she is always throwing a fit if we leave the room! Im expecting my 3rd child nov 24 and im so scared of what this new baby is going to cause with my 1 yr old...someone help!?

jami5

Asked by jami5 at 8:02 AM on Oct. 25, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• She is 1. I don't know what else to say. Don't give her the attention when she throws a fit that just makes them more frequent. She will grow out of it. Sounds to me like she hit the terrible twos early. Hang on it may be a bumpy ride! Good Luck, Momma.

Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 8:09 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• What Cindy said is also my thought.

I suspect she has just discovered there is a place that doesn't include just her and mamma, and it is frightening- the car, mamma leaving the room at bedtime. Until now maybe she didn't realize there were times when Mom wasn't right there. At least this is my theory. When you take her to the pediatrician next time bring it up, just to ease your mind, but my thought is that this is just part of growing and learning about the world.

Answer by Bmat at 8:22 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• I understand that she is 1 but I never experienced this with my now 3 yr old...I know not all kids are the same but she seems to just not get enough attention...and hate leaving her crying but that what everyone suggests! just let her cry but its heartbreaking...i just want to snatch her up and kiss her and hug her but that may be my problem!
    jami5

Answer by jami5 at 8:25 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• All kids are different. My 9 year old was an ANGEL as a toddler. He did everything he was asked to do, always. My daughter on the other hand, who will be 3 in November, complete opposite. I still rememeber her first fit. I thought she might be having a seizure. Seriously, either that or she was posessed. As the first poster said....ignore it. She's getting a reaction from you, and that's exactly what she wants. My daughter significantly calmed down once she realized that her fit throwing was getting her nowhere. Once it starts, we'd put her in her playpen in her room and walk out (per doc orders), not saying a word to her, once she stops screaming, we'd go get her. It started around her first birthday. It wasn't even 2 weeks and she began to calm. She still has her moments now, but I can almost predict them...usually when she's super tired or hungry. Hang in there mama, sounds like you have a drama queen on your hands
    momjoy1027

Answer by momjoy1027 at 8:37 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• Early Terrible Twos, for sure! Just don't give her attention - ignore the tantrums at home and do timeouts (keep her in it till she calms down, then let her know what she could've done differently), but if it happens in public, try to distract her with other things, tell her what you expect of her before going out and reward her for good behavior..she may only be 1 but if you talk to her like an older child, I bet it'd work! It did/does for my Son, and He started the Terrible Twos early, too. Stay strong, momma..and congrats on your third!
    ajtherad

Answer by ajtherad at 8:55 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• Thanks ladies! Your advice helps alot! With the new one on the way I dunno what Im going to do just gotta be strong i suppose! :)
    jami5

Answer by jami5 at 9:09 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• My daughter just turned 1 in Sept. Nothing has really ever scared her or made her upset enough to cry, unless it was she was needing a bottle or a diaper change. Well here lately she has been super sensitive, crying over all kinds of stuff, this is all new to me too, but she has been teething alot over the past month and I think that has a lot to do with it.
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 10:06 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• Are the fits only happening when you are in the car or other places to? If they are only occuring when you are in the car it is possible she is just going threw a phase of not wanting to be restrained/strapped down into her car seat. My son went threw this and I just had to keep telling him "when we get in the car we buckle up."
    justluvinmyson

Answer by justluvinmyson at 10:14 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• anon- your time to be a bitch is not here, nor is it now. even martha friggin stewart missed a snap on her brats onesie every once in a while. you're not perfect either.

they are all so different, like night and day. thats been true of my 3. the eldest was the one who whined, cried, and is still needy. my middle one was the happiest little chubby thing, just a bundle of smiles. until he learned he had lungs- that ended. lol the baby, he was my easy one, never a whimper or whine unless he was hungry or dirty. but now, at 2 1/2 he is my sneeky one, so much so, that i don't always know what to do with him! he is so capable!
    she'll come into her own, and she probably senses the changes in the house, maybe her routine has been changed? anyway, like all the others said, if you ignore it (easier said than done!) eventually, it will end. this too shall pass. BTW congrats on the new one!
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:39 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• All babies are SOOO different! My son was like the perfect baby and toddler...He would sit and look at ooks for hours, he went to sleep when you put him in his bed from day one, he ate good, he walked and talked on time, he never got into things...My daughter came and I had NO IDEA what to do with her! she refused to sleep, at 2 she is snubbing almost all food, she didn't walk til she was almost 20 months, she is EVERYWHERE, sit still and look at books would be a joke for her...It may just be that she is a more vocal/active child than your first...she will get more negotiable with time and that will help a lot!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 11:51 AM on Oct. 25, 2009