any advice for a xmas my kids deserve

i am having a really bad time of it worse yet my kids are feeling it to. over the last 18months we have been through hell i lost my mum last march my uncle 5weeks before that and my aunt 8weeks ago whom we were close to them all i also lost a baby 2weeks after i lost my mum 2months ago my partner lost his job and as a result we have lost our home and are currently on the homeless list to be rehoused we have to live on benefits as we are struggling to find work i have no spare cash after paying bills and i cant afford christmas my older two kids understand extremely well and have told me not to bother with christmas but age 10 and 13 i cannot do that i cant get credit or catalogues what can i do my kids dont deserve this i am at my witts end i do try and save but its just pennies i have 3kids and just want a day for them to forget there worries and enjoy

chazebabez29

Asked by chazebabez29 at 8:46 AM on Oct. 25, 2009 in Money & Work

• I would look to those wonderful things that are out there to help you at this time. Toys for Tots, salvation Army, and any other community things that they offer in your are to help you get stuff for you kids. I know some companies look to help people at this time. The company my hubby used to work for would find a family (I don't know how they did but they went to some service and asked to help a family for the holidays). One year we donated an umbrella stroller and 2 kids winter coats. I would start searching for places like that that can help you out. GOOD LUCK!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:50 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• Lots of charitable organizations give presents to families that are struggling like yours. Get connected with them....get your name out there....let your church know if you're a member of one. We have an "Adopt a family" program at work. The families we help make out like bandits and often have better Christmases than we do.

That said, the 10 and 13 yr old can learn a lot from having a very small gift giving this year. Builds character.
    halfpint_ny

Answer by halfpint_ny at 10:38 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• It doesn't matter that you can't afford toys... Volunteer on Christmas morning at the local Salvation Army... attend church events, get into the excitement of the lights, mall window shopping, etc.. Don't ask for handouts... it's not right.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:55 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• I agree with the salvation army and a few other place.Instead of buying gifts,how about homemade gifts for everyone?This is what we did last year as things were really tight.Take your kids to volunteer at soup kitchens,spend quality time together as a family while you are rebuilding.This will teach your children life lessons and build character.Im not saying they dont deserve gifts,but it seems they know of the struggles you all are going through.We have been through tough times,but we made it through and so will you.
    Anonymous

• Call your local churches as well - many of them do adopt a family projects. My kids school does one as well, anonymous of course - call your school and see. I agree with the poster who mentioned doing Christmas "things" - drive around to look at lights, go to a local tree lighting ceremony, make decorating your own tree a BIG event with popcorn and Christmas carols (the Dollar Tree has some cute ornaments or you can make your own and you can get a cheap fake tree at places like Big Lots or craigslist if you can't afford a real one). Enjoy the season, even if you can't afford gifts - your attitude will influence your kids!

Answer by missanc at 2:14 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• It time they understand that a roof over their head and food on the table is more important than gifts. Gifts is not going to give them warmth and a place to live. You just have to make memories in a different way that doesn't cost money.  Asking for hand outs should be avoided at all cost. 

Anonymous

• Besides all of this great advice, believe your kids when they say that gifts don't matter to them.

They know that family is most important, so you have succeeded in a very important way.
    mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 5:00 PM on Oct. 25, 2009