The Ego

The root cause of our problems is the ego, but the ego does not have any objective existence. Only humility can help us get rid of our ego. When one says or thinks, ''I am the master’’, one is, in fact, becoming a slave to the ego.

The greatest obstacles to enjoying life are this kind of an attitude and self-centred thoughts. Because of this, we are unable to serve others.

Do you find this is true? Do you notice people in your everyday life whether it be in a religious circle or not, letting their ego get in the way? Does it hinder being kind and doing good deeds for your fellow man?

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 9:16 AM on Oct. 25, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I completely agree with this. The ego drives most people..."what am I getting out of this? How is this pleasing me? This person is being mean to me, and I have to prove I am better...." It is endless, and most people are victim to their ego. I think partly because our society feeds our egos, like the monster that it is. And our society is creating a monster beyond our control.
    If we could all realize that we are all unique and special in our own right....and that if we truly know this, we need not bring others down to feel good about ourselves. When one is content within, the ego disappears and the need to push others down dissipates.
    Because whether we like it or not, we do indeed strive to prove others wrong, to make ourselves feel right (and this is the very core of the ego).
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 9:44 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• Ditto Sahma couldn't have said it better.
    oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 10:10 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• I think the only one s with big ego's are the ones always feeling insulted by anything if it is not what they think it is .
    Anonymous