Do you have a hard time admitting when you're wrong?

One of the most difficult and painful things to do in life is to admit one's mistakes.

Most of us hesitate to confess our mistakes. We are equally reluctant to express regret, and it is a rare person who tries to make amends or even simply render a heartfelt apology.

It is this reluctance of most people to admit that they've committed a mistake that forms the root of much human strife. An unforgiving, unrepentant nature - whether among individuals, families, communities or nations - is responsible for misunderstandings that lead to enmity and hatred.

Do you have a hard time admitting when you're wrong? Do you suppose that if people did it more often, there would be hate, anger and violence in the world?

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 9:24 AM on Oct. 25, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I was wrong once then I found out that I was mistaken. Sorry I had to put a joke here.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:26 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• I don't have a problem admitting when I am wrong, I find it to be uplifting, and if a lot more people felt this way, there wouldn't be so much hatred and anger in this world.

Answer by older at 9:29 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• On here, I've noticed it almost never happens. When I've admitted I was wrong it's met with a "Ha! I told you so!" attitiude. Such a shame we can't act like adults on this site.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:33 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• Self-preservation is a basic instinct. so it is normal and natural to be reluctant to do something that might make us feel badly about ourselves. It is why when my husband and I have a difference of opinions, that it takes a conscious effort on my part to back off and not keep arguing. I tell myself that since I love him, and I want him to be happy, that is isn't worth causing him embarrassment by continuing to argue my point. I also try to admit it to others when I am wrong. It diffuses situations often. Someone can be mad, and when I say "I was wrong." it pulls the rug from under their feet sometimes. They were all huffy, and to have someone back off is deflating. I think it is similar to martial arts where you are taught to first of all run away from a fight. What do you gain by victory anyway other than the other person bears a grudge. I'd rather confuse them. But then, I could be wrong. Heh!

Answer by Bmat at 9:39 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• nope--what about you? You seem to get very defensive but I have never seen you admit that you might be wrong and that there just might be a God
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:04 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• Anonymous

I lived 30 years of my life thinking there was a God, so yes... I have previously given thought that he might just be real. What about you? Do you admit when you're wrong? Do you ever think everything you hold to be true is really not?
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 10:38 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• I do tell people when I am wrong and I apologize.

I am actually too open about my mistakes. I tell people too much!!! LOL. And some people have used that against me. Oh well.

I love to resolve conflict, because knowing that I messed up and hurt someone feels MUCH worse than the embarassment I feel when I admit I'm wrong.

Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 12:59 PM on Oct. 25, 2009