Is silence essential for spirital growth?

When we are alone and in silence, we get infused with strength and inspiration. We should guard our silent moments well and not allow routine schedules to deprive us of the time we spend in quiet solitude.

A Christian mystic said: "There is a silence at the heart of things. You may find it when you do not seek but stand and wait, and like a hill or tree, are for a little while content to be. Then you may even hear the silence speak".

Do you find silence is better for prayer? Is silence essential for spirital growth? How often do you just sit in silence and think about life?

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 9:30 AM on Oct. 25, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think that in this case the "silence" is more a silence of the mind. A quiet calm, where you reflect on your life and the things in it, and where you want it to take you. I don't think that EVERYONE needs silence in order to grow spiritually, and being a person who in general hates silence, I can say that I have grown without it. But I will also say that I have grown more WITH it, and I have come to love what it does for me. A few minutes of meditation a day has done wonders for my clarity. And it's only been 3 days lol.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 3:00 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• I'm not big on silence. Mostly because if the kids are that quiet I have to check on them... lol! I take time every morning to meditate and commune with the Gods and again in the eve before bed. But to me silence isn't a big must, I usually have some type of music on to help me drown out other things. I don't think it's something that is needed. I think we each connect in our own ways. For many this may be in silence in others it may be in dance and song... The point is to make sure you are doing it regularly and not allowing other things to keep you from your connection and personal growth.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:05 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• I think silence helps me think and sort through things. My favorite place is my car, I will turn off the radio and just drive and think. It really seems to calm me down and put things is perspective. When it is loud all the time I sometimes start to feel overwhelmed.
    AshleyLynnW

Answer by AshleyLynnW at 12:14 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• Do you find silence is better for prayer?
    For me it is. I cannot meditate or focus on prayer if i have music or too much background noise at all.

I think that depends on the person.

How often do you just sit in silence and think about life?
    Sometimes a lot. sometimes not so much. Some times i really like silence. Other times it kinda creeps me out.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 12:48 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• Yes, for me silence is essential for spiritual growth. I am an introvert naturally, and when I get the chance to just be still in the quiet and either pray or read my bible, it gives me spiritual energy. I usually do this at night, after everyone is in bed and the house is nice and quiet.
    ave.maria.

Answer by ave.maria. at 6:19 PM on Oct. 25, 2009