Tolerance

When you go into a garden and see different kinds of flowers in full bloom, you marvel at nature and enjoy the beauty of each flower, its unique shape, colour and perfume. But when you walk into a room full of people, each holding a view different from yours, you find it difficult to accept.

To be able to accept the possibility that other perceptions may also be true or plausible is the basis for tolerance.

Are you able to accept that the perceptions and beliefs of others may be right or does your ego get in the way? Does wanting to be right in your own perception cause intolerance of others?

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 9:44 AM on Oct. 25, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• That is acceptance not tolerance. Tolerance is being respectful to those who you do not agree with. You don't have to accept or entertain they might be right you just have to be kind to them even if you know or think they are dead wrong. You can even tell them you think they are wrong and you don't have to change your belief for them. Again it is about being respectful and kind to someone you feel is wrong or different than you.

Anonymous

• wow, I really like this question! Actually it was just recently in the last few years that I opened my views just a little bit because I really wanted to know the truth for myself. I have many friends with different beliefs and it interests me what they believe and WHY. And from every perspective they all had good points that the others did not share, for the most part. Some of my friends have strong beliefs because that is all they have known and grown up with. But they themselved have never questioned if that is the right way. It was actually seeing that, that made me question my own. So I now have an opend mind to others even though I stil have my own strong beliefs. And from that have developed my own beliefs.
    AmyLynn5398

Answer by AmyLynn5398 at 9:55 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• I love everyone! Good question.
    I am an atheist. I dont believe there is any kind of God because that is what is right for me- I try not to worry about proving my way is the right way to anyone else (unless maybe they ask). However, I completely understand that many people believe for very good reasons and I accept it's totally possible that I could in fact be wrong. I dont really feel the need to be 'right' or prove Im right to someone else..know what I mean? I know what I have chosen is right for me.
    Ziggy-Stardust

Answer by Ziggy-Stardust at 10:12 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• i think i may have said it before- each person has a need, which is why we form our beliefs to suit that need. for some of us, it is programmed starting at birth, for others, a learned process of identifying need and acquiring beliefs to suit that need.
    from my vantage point, what i believe is right, for me. on the other hand, i know all too well that the rest of the world could not as easily accept my reality, beliefs system, morals, etc. because my beliefs are based on my own experiences, and i grew them out of the realization of a lack of a need. it is far fetched to believe that we are all "right", which would go against the very grain of out existence. to accept that religion, or the lack there of, suits a designed purpose, or a need, and that to each person, that is the right decision for them. yes, i would call that tolerance. what i have a personal problem with is evangelists- save the world. i can agree to disagree.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:21 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• I accept that others perceptions and beleifs are right for the individual, and not necessarily for me. My ego does not even enter an equation such as this.

Answer by older at 10:22 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• It does. My biggest issue with tolerance is learning to tolerate those that are themselves intolerant. My mother for example is one of the most intolerant people I know. She hates anyone that doesn't fit in to her mold. If you have different views in any way, shape or form than her you are WRONG and she is RIGHT... Or at least in her view of things. Gays, non-Christians, Christians who are not in HER church, politicians, pro-choice people, pro-immigration people... the list goes on. Just talking about it is turning my stomach... Am I intolerant of her views? Oh yes!! Is it because of ego issues or a need to be right? No! It's because hate is a horrid thing. It affects her life as well as the lives of those around her and the lives of those she is so hateful towards. As someone that believes the EVERY HUMAN EVERYWHERE deserves the same rights and treatment - her hate makes me sick. We didn't talk for years...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:48 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• because I am all the things she hates. The only reason my mother and I talk now is because she wants to have my kids in her life. She thinks that if she is a good gram she can make sure they are all the things she wants them to be...

Her hate comes before anything else in her life - to the point of her own kids. To me this isn't something anyone should tollerate! My mom is a perfect example of how intolerance and hate ruin lives. She is 3 time devorced, miserable and lonely woman. She has no friends and hardly any joy in her life because she would prefer to spend what time she's not working or in church picking people apart just looking for reasons why they aren't good enough.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:52 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• I look at it this way. Hitler was a horridly intolerant and hateful man. His views were MUCH different than mine. And I never would have tolerated him, why should that be different for anyone else that thinks like him? Just because someone may not have the power that Hitler did doesn't make their hate any more tolerable to me. In fact IMO it's worse. I can almost understand how someone can let their power go to their head and how someone in his position can be that hateful and do the things he did. But when you are just one in the crowd and you hate everyone around you - you just hate yourself. And no, that's not something I can be okay with. Because for some reason close minds and mouths don't seem to work together. People like my mother want everyone to believe like she does - so she tells everyone. She isn't just hurting herself, but others, and I can NOT tolerate that and still feel like I'm a good person.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:55 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• Are you able to accept that the perceptions and beliefs of others may be right or does your ego get in the way?
    I accept that it may be right for them, even if it is not right for me. And that's okay. :)

Does wanting to be right in your own perception cause intolerance of others?
    I have to say that usually not. I'm not perfect though and sometimes my strong emotions can get in the way. And like Sabrina mentioned, my biggest problem with tolerance is tolerating those who are intolerant. lol
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 12:51 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• Tolerance= to bend over and do and say what you believe ,in the way other intolerant people want you to say it so they will not get offended, and it does not matter if you get offended.. political correctness -LOL!!!!!!!!!
    Anonymous