Help please!!!

I have a 2 1/2 year old son who just is not understanding the whole potty training thing and i was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on how to get him to be interested in it, I bought him the "cool sensation" pull ups because he always tells me when he's cold "brr mama" he always says, Im up for ANY and ALL suggestions!! Thanks!

owensmom0622

Asked by owensmom0622 at 9:52 AM on Oct. 25, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It's possible that he doesn't understand about urinating. Depending on where you live, and I don't know about this time of year either, but we are kind of secluded, and I let my sons be outside at times with no pants, so when they pee'd they'd get the idea. It could also be that he just isn't ready. For both of my sons it was age three before they were ready. They were dry at night. Training was very easy then.

Answer by Bmat at 10:09 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• Try throwing a few cheerios in the toliet bowl and telling him to "sink the boat." Lol.
    justluvinmyson

Answer by justluvinmyson at 10:10 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• My son really didnt get it till he was wearing big boy underwear and had an accident. Then the ah ha moment sunk in. If you have carpet that might be a problem. I think pull ups are too much like diapers though they really dont work for my son. I've read a little bit of the 3 day potty training method and I dont think its a bad idea. You might want to check into it. Good luck.
    Ellen_Ashley

Answer by Ellen_Ashley at 3:37 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• I work at a daycare, and I would say the average age for boys to potty train is around 3. So now is a good time to start, but it may take a while for him to catch on. Of course, there a some that do it really early, and some that are late, but he will learn when he is ready.
    kiki2780

Answer by kiki2780 at 11:13 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• Put cherios in the toilet for him to aim at. My parents swore by this when my brothers were potty training. Also, you can have him watch his dad. To me that's a little disturbing, but it infact does teach a lot of children the proper way to use the toilet. They also think "Hey, dad's doing it, I can too!".
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 1:03 PM on Oct. 27, 2009