Was your toddler a late talker?

If so, at what age did they start saying their first words? And what did you specifically do to try to help they talk??

My son is almost 14 months and still isn't saying anything, although he babbles ALL THE TIME and understands what certain things are.

I'm not worried at all, not yet anyway, but would like some ideas on how to help him out more.

Thanks in advance!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:10 AM on Oct. 25, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Read to him as often as possible. Get down on his level and talk to him as often as possible. Ask him questions giving him choices and wait for him to answer. "Do you want pancakes or toast?" "Do you want juice or milk?" "Do you want to hold Mommy's hand or Daddy's hand?" "Do you want to watch Mickey or Spongebob?" The answer doesn't have to be verbally understood...just to where he's saying SOMETHING and you know what he's wanting. He needs to understand that talking will get him more than not talking. Watch things likes Dora, Diego, Special Agent Oso, and Mickey Mouse Clubhouse to where he is urged by the characters to verbally participate.

My daughter was/is a late talker. She's 3-1/2 and has been in some sort of speech therapy since just after she turned 2. These are tips that were given to me and they do help work.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 10:25 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• Our 21 m/o could say less than 10 words. After he was evaluated by ECI, he started speech therapy, and even with weekly sessions, didn't add words until about 25 months. At 14 m/o, I wouldn't think that there is a delay involved. However, I can tell you some things that had me do that enhances speech. Read to him before naps & bedtime. Point to things on each page. Talk to him a lot. Name things, & use action & describing words. The bird is red, that boy runs fast, the meat is hot, etc. Offer choices if he can point to things that he wants. Do you want milk or juice? (Indicates juice...) Nice choice, you chose juice. Do you want to wear your red shirt or blue shirt. (makes choice) Nice choice, you chose blue. Count things (blocks, balls, cars, etc.) How many are there? Group things in colors. All these are red, red car, red ball, red shoe. But mainly relax, if you are exposing him to words, he'll get it. Don't worry!
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 10:28 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• allaboutkeeley- great advice!

both of my ds's were late to talk- seems to be more common with boys. damon did not speak a lick of english until he was over 2 1/2 (but spoke his own language with his sister). one day, i told her to stop talking to him in damonese, and immediately (within a couple of weeks) he decided to talk. now, i can't get him to shut up!
    troy began talking just at 23 months. and now at 28, speaks, acts and thinks for himself... sometimes it takes them a little longer to get a hold. it was like my boys were taking in language, so that they could simply use it when they were ready. which is what they did- when they started talking, it was full sentences, not single words. they just needed time. i was concerned about damon, and wanted to put him in speech, but as it turned out, he didn't need it. i was fortunate.

i would not be concerned, as long as he is fine, and developmentally on course everywhere else.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:32 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• PS-Our speech therapist said that it's common for boys not to talk until they are 2. If he has some words by 18-21 months, just keep doing what you are doing. He won't do it until he's ready. Also, ours walked at 9 months, and they said that early walkers make late talkers. However, our LO was advanced at comprehension, puzzles, and other milestones. Don't focus so much on it that he feels pressured. That's counter-productive. 14 months is really early to be worried about him talking. Just make speech part of your normal routine. And again, as long as he's making his wants/needs known, that's a big part of communitcation. Expressing words is only a small part of speech.
    PS-Get a chart of emotions from the school supply section of stores, Teach him things like happy, sad, mad, hurt, embarrased, loved. Feelings are also important, and in the next few months he may be testing your patience. LOL! Good luck!
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 10:36 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• my son is 19 months and talks like hes chinese. i dont understand a single thing hes saying 98% of the time.
    he says about 15 words and some animal sounds but only if i tell him to repeat me.
    USAF.Wife

Answer by USAF.Wife at 11:20 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• my son is in the same position and he is almost three.. we are teaching him sign language. It's aweome!! Good luck and if you need help through this or ideas please feel free to add me!
    fireangel0310

Answer by fireangel0310 at 1:43 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• If you have any concerns at all I would have him evaluated by early intervention. It's amazing how early they can pick up on delays! My oldest has autism, so I had my 11 month old evaluated early (2 weeks ago) and they have identified a receptive speech delay. He is more advanced than he should be in other areas (motor skills and cognitive) but because he's behind they are going to start speech therapy with him next week. Maybe he would catch up without it, but I can't see how having a little extra speech therapy is possibly going to hurt him! (And here in NC, through early intervention you pay based on a sliding scale so it's very inexpensive, or free depending on your income)

Answer by missanc at 2:56 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• My son wasn't just a late talker but also stopped talking around 18 months. I contacted Early Intervention for an evaluation. He was 22 months at the time of his eval and was determined to be at the verbal level of an 11 month old. He's been in weekly ST since. Now he's 28 months and has close to 125 word vocabulary and is starting to put words together. He would NOT have talked when he was ready as he'd have never been ready. It took a LOT of hard work, sweat and tears to get him to where he is and without his AMAZING ST I am certain he'd still be all but silent.
    I can not sing enough praises for the early intervention program and his therapist. If it were my child, I would have him evaluated, sooner than later. Therapy can't hurt and can only help.
    mom2ljh

Answer by mom2ljh at 3:25 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• I have a 25 month old son that says about 10 words. I was worried until my neighbor told me her 24 month old son says about 10 words too.

Anyway it looks like they'll both be going to speech therapy together.
    Anonymous