I am 9 months pregnant and when I sleep on either side at night, my arms and hands go numb. Has anyone else had this?

CamLivysMomma

Asked by CamLivysMomma at 10:20 AM on Oct. 25, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I go to the doctor on Tuesday and I'm going to ask him. This has only been happening for about 3 nights now, I was just wondering if it was normal. I have a 3 yr old son and I never had this with him and I gained more weight with him.
    CamLivysMomma

Answer by CamLivysMomma at 10:22 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• It sounds like it could be carpultunel (SP?). It's common for it to flare up or even present for the first time during pregnancy.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 10:22 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• This happens to me also, mostly in my hands. I'm 37 weeks. I think it just started early last week. I told my doctor at my appointment last Tuesday & she said not to worry about it, so I'm not.
    Wheepingchree

Answer by Wheepingchree at 10:39 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• Oh yes and I'm only 25 weeks!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 11:02 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• That has happened to me before. A body pillow seems to help me. I guess because I lay more onto the pillow as opposed to my side. Also left side is the best side to sleep on because more of the major blood vessels are on the right side for some reason.
    Glutenfreebaby

Answer by Glutenfreebaby at 11:52 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• yes and it sucks! I had that with both kids from about 4 months or so...It went away the day they were born! I had to wear wrist guards to bed and that helped some...
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:00 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• Yep, happened with all 3 of my pregnancies. It wakes me up and I switch sides until it happens again. My dr says it's due to the excess water retention putting pressure on your nerves. It will go away after delivery.

Drink plenty of water, cut out salt, and take 50mg of vitamin B6 to help decrease the swelling.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 12:51 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• It's Carpal Tunnel caused by pregnancy...it hurts like an SOB doesn't it? I have it ALL the time, oddly enough it went away when I was prego with my twins. Anyways, you can buy carpal tunnel braces to wear at night to keep you from curling your wrists over in your sleep. THey help but they don't cure it. It will go away once you've had baby and if it doesn't, mention it to your doc but the only cure is surgery if it gets bad enough.

Yet another fun fact of pregnancy! I feel your pain literally! lol
    MizusT

Answer by MizusT at 12:56 AM on Aug. 30, 2010