How do I stay dry while I nurse on the side I am currently feeding?

I use the pad inserts on the non nursing side. I get wet on the nursing side when she unlatches etc. Baby wears a bib to keep her dry. Any tips or ideas?!?!

AEMamma

Asked by AEMamma at 10:25 AM on Oct. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It will get better as she gets older. It's just really messy at first.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:34 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• This will level itself out after your body gets used to BFing. For me that's usually around 3-4 months. But, for those first several months I keep a burp cloth handy. I fold one up and tuck it under my nursing breast to catch dribbles and then the second baby lets go I cover my breast with the burp cloth until the flow stops. You will have to do lots of laundry while you're going through this because you need to use clean bras and clean burp cloths so you don't end up getting thrush (I also highly recommend disposable nursing pads vs washable ones...I like Johnson & Johnson best).

I produce milk like a cow, so I never can stop wearing a pad in the breast that I'm not feeding off of, but eventually the problems you have with the nursing side will go away.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 10:35 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• I would just tuck a recieving blanket under the breast she was feeding from so it didnt' dribble everywhere. I also used Lansinoh nursing pads which were awesome, NEVER leaked. Gerber is horrible, haven't tried others. good luck.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 11:17 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• I had the same problem, it does go away. I used barely there compression sport bras (macys sells them for around $12), they have separate cups. I find a little pressure with a pad stops the flow. Also nursing pads get expensive, try cutting pantyliners or pads in half...its the same thing for a lot less.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 12:12 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• I used to tuck a receiving blanket into my bra. It would end up soaked but I remained relatively dry. It gets better once you've been feeding longer and your body will adjust to 'know' how much she will take at a feeding.
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 2:11 PM on Oct. 25, 2009