How do you explain death?

My almost 3 yr old wants to know why my rabbit won't wake up. How do I explain she died? She keeps asking if her baby is ok and I told her Delphina went to Heaven but I know she doesn't understand because she saw the body.

MoonLover06

Asked by MoonLover06 at 10:27 AM on Oct. 25, 2009 in General Parenting

• I would tell her its like sleep only the bunny doesn't wake up.
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 10:34 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• Well, I don't want my child to be afraid to go to scleep.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 10:36 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• When our animals died I told the girls that they had died. They had done what they needed to on earth and now had to go back to live with God in heaven. If the body is gone then try telling him again. At 3 my daughter didn't really react to much at the dogs death, but with the cat she was 4 and did for a day. Lots of tears. She still talks about them occasionally.

DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 10:56 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• Don't tell her the bunny is sleeping and won't wake up.. that will probably make her not want to go to sleep. Made that mistake with my son when my mom passed away 2 years ago he refused to sleep for days until he finally crashed. If yall believe in God, Heaven and all that just explain that God wanted a bunny in Heaven and he chose her bunny as his special friend.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 12:32 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• When my grandfather died this past July I just told my children(ages 5, 3, 21mths)that his spirit went to wait in a peaceful place. That we'd see him again someday but for now he'd be watching over us.

As for the body...they never saw it, we kept them from seeing it cuz we knew it would freak them out.

If they had seen it we'd have just said it was a shell.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 3:34 PM on Oct. 25, 2009