If you say you can't afford Christmas, do you truly understand what it's all about?

Every year these questions continue to plague me. You are saying, you can't afford to buy crap for your kids... But that is not what it's all about. I raised two kids by myself. We didn't have money... but our fun came in the excitement of the time. Driving around looking at lights, window shopping at the mall... FREE Christmas programs at local churches. If you want them to understand, then you all volunteer Christmas Day at your local Salvation Army... that is something that they will cherish more than cheap toys. There are so many more things about the Holiday rather than BUYING. Spend time with family..... spend time with your kids... This is what it's all about.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:45 AM on Oct. 25, 2009 in Just for Fun

• That's good! I agree 100%. Christmas in the true sense, doesn't cost anything. It's sad how so many have lost sight of what Christmas is really all about or have no idea what the true reason for Christmas is, and instead of it being a season of joy & celebration, it has become a season full of stress, greed, disappointment, & depression.
    BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 11:10 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• yesfor me is spending time with family
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:59 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• yes you are right, but you don't want your kids going to school while everyone eles is bragging about what they got. This is were the dollar store comes in. $15= 15 toys. remember toys don't have to be the only thing under the tree. Clothes work too, you have to buy them anyways so just make them a gift. I put socks, toothbrushes,favorite toothpaste, cookies, hair things stuff like that in my children's stockings. and you can always use coupons and buy toys while on clearance throughout the year. I was a single mom of two, worked but didn't make big money maybe $200 a week and my children always had a nice christmas, with the little they got.
    r00j04j08

Answer by r00j04j08 at 11:08 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• I don't care what my kids think or not. Why would that upset you... that teaches them the true way of the world... It's not always fair. We can't always afford what others have. This is the why the baseballs teams, basketball teams, etc... have to let all play. No more cuts for kids that don't cut it. WRONG.... Wrong.... Wrong......
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:10 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• no it's about the birth of Jesus not everything you listed so do YOU know the true meaning
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:15 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• I love Christmas time. It is fun to drive around and look at Christmas lights! We decorate BIG time for Christmas. Last year, we bought a whole bunch of stuff on Clearance after New Year's, so this year we're going to look like the Griswalds lol. We bake cookies and when my daughter is older, I think it would be great to volunteer somewhere. My parents had 5 children and managed to give all of us many gifts at Christmas on one income, when my mom was a SAHM. Gifts are a perk of the Holiday. It kills me how people who can't afford gifts act like those of us who can have "forgotten" what the holiday is about. That is a load of crap. Didn't the three wise men bring gifts? Gifts are part of the season....giving and receiving. I can't wait until my daughter is a little older so I can really see her eyes light up when she opens that gift she has been bugging me for for months. I will love it.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 11:47 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• I think that some people put too much emphasis on gifts . These are usually the same people who MUST have name brand everything . I am a single mom I don't make much money at all and I don't get child support. I do however start my Christmas shopping when everything goes on clearence in Jan./Feb. and pick up things throughout the year when I can. I do put an emphasis on the true meaning of the season . I take my son to buy gifts for the children who go to the Christmas party at the local mission ,we also make cupcakes and cookies for their party. I could not afford Christmas if I tried to buy everything through the actual holiday season. This does happen every year so people should know to prepare for it. We also take advantage of all the free things going on through the holiday we go to the parades, see the lights , attend church events , etc.
    coffeemama1776

Answer by coffeemama1776 at 12:26 PM on Oct. 25, 2009