What's the Best Way to Sanitize Teethers and Rattles?

I have a 3 year old and a 17 month old and they've done all sorts of yucky things with the rattles and teethers...like take them for bath time, chew on them with food in their mouth, etc. I have a baby due this December and want to get all the teethers and rattles cleaned up for the baby.

What's the best way to sanitize the ones that aren't dish washer safe?

ThrivingMom

Asked by ThrivingMom at 10:58 AM on Oct. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• soak in warm, soapy water to loosen the gunk, then wash with a tootbrush, spray with Clorox cleaner and let sit for 5 minutes, back to soapy water and rinse then air dry, most of them can be washed on the top rack of the dishwasher, but if not this should work, happy birthing momma!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 11:10 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• BLEACH is the only way to kill germs AND viruses (like flu, H1N1) Use 1/2 water 1/2 bleach in as small of a "soaker" as possible. Scrub with a toothbrush and fully rinse! Hope that helps.
    chloesmom129

Answer by chloesmom129 at 11:01 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• There are some things I feel should just be bought new.

If they're not dishwasher safe, they can't be boiled....pitch them and get new.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:01 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• I would soak them in bleach and then run them through the dishwasher. You can also spray them down really well with pure rubbing alcohol. I keep a container of both bleach water and alcohol in my kitchen and generally use them for all disinfecting.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:02 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• you can use bleach or walmart has these microwave sanatizing bags for about 6 bucks theres 6 bags in the box each can be used up to 20 times ... with the bleach it's about one tablespoon bleach to one cup water i believe
    freshly.married

Answer by freshly.married at 11:03 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• I always soak my son's in clorox water ( I usually put about half of a cup) for a while. They usually stay in there for the time it takes me to do whatever else needs done. Then I put them in my microwave sanitizer for 4 minutes.(It is kinda like the bags the pp was talking about but it is reuseable, kinda looks like a big tupperware container.) After that I feel like they are sanitized. I always do it after colds and whenever other children have been playing with his toys.
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 11:23 AM on Oct. 25, 2009