Are some people just determined to to be unhappy?

No matter how much God is in or out of their lives they just aren't going to be happy? Or have they just not found a peaceful path?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:03 AM on Oct. 25, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• There is a wonderful book entitled HAPPINESS IS A CHOICE by Minreth and Myers. I think it would do a lot of people a lot of good to read that book. There may be cases where depression is chemical, but I suffered with it for years before I learned what the real cause of it was, and now I am gloriously free from it, praise God! Most of the medical profession is content to give us pills for our symptoms, while what we really need are those who are gifted in determining root causes. I do think that it is possible to be joyful in all circumstances, no matter how dire they may be. It is altogether possible to be grief-stricken and still have the joy of knowing that the One who gave us life has everything under His control and that we can trust Him with our pain and troubles. I think too many women are willing to accept that they are just unhappy people and never really had a chance to be happy, but that is simply not so!
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 4:37 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• Please, can't you go to church or something? It doesn't matter if you are blue, orange, green, pink or yellow... it doesn't matter if you believe or don't. We are all still human beings.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:07 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• some peoples lives suck. deal with reality
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:11 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• Some people are just miserable or have sh*tty circumstances regardless of their faith or lack of.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:12 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• LOL and here are examples of those who want to be unhappy.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:13 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• perhaps some people haven't had the opportunity to see how good their life is, by witnessing how bad someone else actually has it.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 11:46 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• hairnazi.....so you're saying we need to SEE suffering in order to be happy? That's depressing.

As for the OP...nobody WANTS to be unhappy. You don't know everyone's circumstances and you don't know their mental state, so why go around saying they WANT to be unhappy? That's a ridiculous concept. And no, happiness has nothing to do with religion...that's just one tiny aspect.
    metalcowgirl34

Answer by metalcowgirl34 at 12:02 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• Some people live with a chip on their shoulder enabling them to be happy, very sad.

Answer by older at 12:03 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• Some of us have mental illnesses, like me. I have major depression and anxiety, it's not like I can just turn on the Happy Switch whenever I want. Yes, I'm on medication, but no, it isn't helping much. Believe me, if I could just fake it till I make it, I would be the happiest bitch on the planet right now. I'm a good actress. I'm good at pretending that I'm happy. In reality, my mind is a rather dark and stormy, morbid, sometimes perverted, nasty lil old place.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 12:03 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• no, metal..that's not what i mean. what i meant was, if people bothered to see beyond themselves, they realize that there's always someone who has a worse situation than they. and yes, it can be depressing. but that's life! some have it better than others, always will.
    for the really important stuff, such as health, roofs over their heads (no matter how its paid for), having their families together..that's what is important, and to complain about how suck your life is (for whatever reason, other than health, lack of shelter or food or family) is stupid and selfish.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 12:07 PM on Oct. 25, 2009