Why is America becoming so spoiled?

When my parents were growing up if the family couldn't afford something they just went without. Now, the poorest families still have a PS3 and cable and a couple of cars. Kids have name brand clothes and get a new bike each year.

Have Americans forgotten the difference between luxury and necessity?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:13 AM on Oct. 25, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• It started after WWII, people went with out for so long and then they had kids. They wanted there kids to have all they didn't. And then the baby boomers did that with theirkids and now we have a spoiled entitled middle class. With the economy as it is now, that will change. People are moving more towards needs vs wants. And saving for big purchases rather then using credit.  Even the commercials are not so pushy with spending but marketing the savings instead it is refreshing change.

DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 11:22 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• "Have Americans forgotten the difference between luxury and necessity?" Yes. There are many people who dont know the difference. Also what is a necessity and what is a luxury is up for debate. There is nothing a human being truly needs that doesnt exist in nature.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:16 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• Be careful who you judge. Those name brand clothes could be hand-me-downs or from a thrift store (the ones my kids have are). The PS3 could be a secret santa gift from an affluent Church (my Church gives very generous gifts to children in need every year - it's an affluent community, but we are not just to clear up that lack of continuity above).

You don't KNOW where those things came from, don't pretend like you do. Americans are getting more spoiled, but they're also getting more generous.
    Anonymous

• I really like your answer anon 11:16
    Tashwitz

Answer by Tashwitz at 11:17 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• "There is nothing a human being truly needs that doesnt exist in nature."

So let's just let the poor huddle around a campfire all winter? That elderly lady down the street who can't afford heat - why not just burn the coffee table? Can't afford groceries? Just plant a garden in your back yard - it would be your full time job to farm enough food for your family, and you still won't be able to afford meat or dairy but hey nature will provide everything you need.

America prides itself on it's high standard of living. You can't become this affluent and not help those in need, it breeds animosity, would cause a revolt, and (because I'm religious) is simply sinful.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:20 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• Thanks Tashwitz :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:21 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• Yes they have, too busy trying to keep up with the Jone'ses.

Answer by older at 11:22 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• Op here- I'm not against public assistance. I just think Americans have come to expect certain things that should be viewed as luxuries.

The PS3 could be donated, but why donate something like that? Churches have always helped the poor with clothes and food. It's only recently that they also help with toys, bikes, and other things kids just don't need. I work with poverty stricken children. Last year I spent $200 on one of them getting her clothes shoes and school supplies for Christmas. I also got her a CD player (she asked for an MP3 player) and a couple of CDs. She came back from break with a digital camera and the MP3 player. Why does a child living in poverty expect or need all this stuff?

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:26 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• Devillin- I agree that is the silver lining to this recession. More Americans have toned down their spending.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:27 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• Yep and now we have a whole group who want the Government to start giving them everything so they don't have to work or can work a job that doesn't require much and live like the rest of us who had to sacrifice and save. I won't name which party agrees with them.lol
    Anonymous