Therapy Dogs

My dog just passed his Canine Good Citizen test yesterday, yay! (He's a pit bull mix for those of you who think pits are vicious, lol :-p )
Anyway, I was thinking about maybe going even further with the training and trying to make him a therapy dog.
Do any of you ladies have certified therapy dogs, and if you do, how long did it take to train them for it? My dog has the sweetest nature and I think he would be so great for kids who just need some puppy love :)

SarahLeeMorgan

Asked by SarahLeeMorgan at 11:16 AM on Oct. 25, 2009 in Pets

• i had a pom who was a therapy dog- we spent a lot of time at the local hospital, and nursing homes... she was just peaceful, and quiet, which is so hard to believe for a pom! lol

it did not require extensive training for her, mainly because she almost met the requirements when she was certified. i honestly do not remember how long it took, this was over 10 years ago. if that is something you decide to allow your fur baby to do, it is admirable. they eat up the attention as much as the people do. mine made a couple of close friends, and when starlight (yeah, i know- what a name!) passed away in the ICU, her granddaughter insisted that Orla (my fur baby) be there... we got a call, and drove over. it was beautiful, and heart wrenching. we got there in time to spend a couple of hours with her, orla laid in her lap and was just there... i think it was hard on her though, when we finally did leave, orla wouldn't come on her own...
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:30 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• My Doberman has his CGC too! Go vicious dogs lol. The therapy dog test is almost identical to the CGC it just has like two more parts to the test, so instead of 10 "tests" it's 12. I don't remember what the two additional parts were, but nothing big, if your dog passed the CGC they should be able to pass a therapy dog test with out much more (if any) work.
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 2:10 AM on Oct. 26, 2009

• Oh yeah, and we used to go to a training class and there was a Pit Bull in it that was a certified therapy dog!
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 2:12 AM on Oct. 26, 2009

• My dog is a certified service dog due to my hearing impairment. He has a certificate and everything. Yay stranded by the side of the rode mutt that we rescued!!!!!
    Starfire73

Answer by Starfire73 at 4:45 AM on Oct. 26, 2009