Is this normal talk for a 22 month old?

She can say multiple word phrases like 'No, Carl! Mine, Let go!' or I want down, Let go!' and 'I want breakfast please.' She can answer questions like 'what do you want?' She'll say 'I want___' She knows how to follow 2 part directions like 'get you back pack and bring it to me, it's in the kitchen' Everyone keeps saying how amazing this is but I think it's normal isn't it? I don't remember how well my son was talking at this age...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:54 AM on Oct. 25, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• She is verbal, she probably talked early as well! My DS is 4 and his word skills and understanding of communication blow people away--unfortunately for us this doesn't mean they are genuises, but right brained, it is cool and is a sign of high creativity, wait till she makes up stories, most of these children are very open, and loving! I have done a lot of research on this, and they may grow up to be actors, writers, broadcasters, anything that has to do with verbal communicating, good luck mom!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 12:53 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• Its in the normal "range", but maybe a little more advanced than most. My son talked like that by about 23 months. I wouldn't bet on having the next Stephen Hawking in your highchair, but you can be sure that your DD isn't at all lacking in the language dept.
    Iskkra

Answer by Iskkra at 12:00 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• I agree with the other poster, but also remember she has more language models than your son did. She has an older sibling that she is no doubt learning from.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 12:12 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• My granddaughter is twenty two months and barely speaks at all. The Dr. said not to worry until she turns two and then we will have to probably see a speech therapist.... She only says simple words.
    Anonymous

• Yep. Normal.

And the "older sibling modeling so they speak better" is bull. My youngest has more than one older sibling and has been in speech therapy for over a year now.
    Anonymous

• Yup, my daughter does that and she is 22 months. It is so sweet when she says I like Daddy or I like Elmo out of the blue. Or brings me her sippy and say I out all gone, so helpful. I can talk to her and she can talk back, there are much less temper tantrums. It is great.  She follows to part directions as well, it is great.  Getting two kids ready is easier if she can bring me the right shoes to put on her. 

DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 12:22 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• my DD is 17 months and is close to that stage, she doesnt say I want__, but she says no kitty, no nana, thats mine, hi baby, I love you ____, she follows directions, like put your books away, put you clothes in the dirty hamper. knows her shapes and counts to 3.
    LizaJayne

Answer by LizaJayne at 1:21 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• yeah my dd was talking lke that at that age and the she picked at more words, she is 31 mts now and i can have a full conversation with her. i understand everything hse says and do does everyone else
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 3:43 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• i always wondered that about my daughter...she was doing full sentences around 19 months....i thought it was normal then, but looking back I see she really was advanced.....also my best firneds son is 2 1/2 and still only says 1 word phrases..and can onlt talk a little..
    glamomomo

Answer by glamomomo at 5:30 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• It's normal for your child. Some children are barely talking by your daughter's age, where others are right at her level of communication. My husband's second cousin is two and seems to have a vocabulary of maybe 6 words. Whereas my son is a year old and seems to have a larger vocabular then his two year old cousin. It depends on the child and it's great that your daughter is communicating soo well. I can imagine that it makes it a lot easier on you with her speaking so well.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 1:02 PM on Oct. 27, 2009