What is the most important sense for you and your child

What do you think is the most crucial sense you use with your child day to day? Talking to them/listening to them, seeing them or touching them?

This is for a research assignment, I'm not looking for safety as in some hypothetical situation that a car is about to hit them and you need to be able to see. Just an average day, what is most important to you and your child, your sense of hearing, sense of seeing or sense of touching.

4Poodle

Asked by 4Poodle at 12:15 PM on Oct. 25, 2009 in General Parenting

• That depends on which child. My oldest one is a talker, she wants to share her feelings, her activities, everything. So for her to feel special and important just sitting with her and listening is key.
    My twins on the other hand need, almost crave physical affection. They are cuddle bunnys and they want to sit with you and hold hands, cuddle, lots of kisses, even rough housing.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 12:26 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• Touch. Touch is the root of affection. If I never hug my child, my words and understanding are meaningless.
    Then smell, the smells we share are pretty crucial.
    Then sound.
    Then sight.

I'm not sure where taste would fit in the mix here. Part of me thinks it'd go alongside smell since they are both so nourishing and basic for human survival, if I can't give my daughter that, then there's not much I can give her.
    jellyphish

Answer by jellyphish at 12:43 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• Like teamquinn it depends on the child...My oldest 3 want me to listen where as my 7 year old needs physical affection all the time...LOL..he is always sitting on me getting me to stroke his back...
    Just_Bethy

Answer by Just_Bethy at 4:26 PM on Oct. 25, 2009