how to get my 11month olf off formula and on milk

my son just turned 11months and i want him to be off his formula because its not seeming to fill him up as much anymore hes already eating alot of tabble foods and i remember with my daughter she was off by 10months threw her bottle n wouldnt take it ever again lol but my sons just so hard he kinda uses it as a confort thing i think but hes getting to be a big boy n doesnt need a bottle or the formula, its getting way to expensive on top of that

angelnina8715

Asked by angelnina8715 at 12:24 PM on Oct. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• At 11 months old he needs to be eating and relying more on solid foods and less on liquids to fill him up (and that even includes whole milk) just start by mixing the milk & formula 1 part milk to 3 parts formula and then each day mix it with less than formula and more milk.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 12:28 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• Just stop giving formula in a bottle and only give milk in a cup. He may need some help drinking from the cup at first, but if that's all that's offered, he'll drink it before he goes thirsty.
    Anonymous

• Until a baby is 12 months they should be getting most of their nutrition from breastmilk or formula. How do you people not even know the basics?
    Anonymous

• You should not give cow's milk to a baby under a year. Once they stop taking formula at a year they don't need to drink cow's milk at all. They can get protein from other sources.

Drinking cows milk is actually bad for toddlers. It makes them eat less of other foods that would be better for them. If they drink milk and eat milk products like cheese, yogurt, ice cream, ect. it is easy for a toddler to be eating a lot of milk. This increases the chances they will have problems digesting milk.

Toddlers, like the rest of us, should drink water.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:16 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• Yeah do what Kaleb's said that's what my peds told me but you should only give him milk at meals and only 4ozs of juice a day.. I know it's hard I have a hard time with it too. The rest of the time should be water. My little one loves water flavored or not! Also I don't know if you feed him baby cereal but you can feed him this too. Good Luck mama.
    fireangel0310

Answer by fireangel0310 at 1:34 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• My son is 11 months and we started mixing milk with formula in his bottle, until it was all milk and now we've just switched him to a sippy. I had been giving him a sippy with water since he was around 7 months old, so it wasn't a big surprise to him as far as what to do. He doesn't need 4 oz of juice/day - there's not much nutrition there and it's a lot of sugar, dilute it if you give it to him.

Answer by missanc at 2:06 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• When we switched my daugher was on goats milk.. I just replaced the goats milk with regular milk. Some people recommend a more gradual approach such as mixing milk and formula half and half, then 3/4 and 1/4.. I don't see that as necessary. When he's hungry he'll drink it. You may want to get an infant vitamin tho to make sure the diet is complete. As far as the bottle goes, we were progressive as far as switching to a sippy cup. Nuby makes these great sippi's that have silicone tops with the valve built right in. The flow on them is comparable to a fast flow on a bottle nipple and the feel of it is very similar to how a bottle feels. My daughter had no problem switching right to this, and about 3 months later we started giving her the hard spout sippy cups occasionally. She was switched to the cup and milk at 10 months. Now at 15 months she takes a hard spout sippy cup with milk or juice and has no problems.
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 2:08 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• you shouldnt give cows milk till they are 12 months and that is after the dr recommends it. as far as the bottle give a sippy cup. honestly its not to hard my dd had a sippy at 6 months.
    Anonymous

• Kids should not have milk before they are 12 month old. Their bodies can have a very hard time digesting it. Your son is not using formula for comfort but because that is what babies drink. It is normal for babies to be formula and/or breastmilk dependant until they are 12 months.
    MooNFaeRie30

Answer by MooNFaeRie30 at 5:23 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• First start off by adding D milk to your baby's formula. Do half and half and see how his body reacts to the milk. Then after a week add a little less formula and a little more milk. If he continues to tolerate it, just keep reducing the formula. Then when you've just added all milk and he's tolerating it just fine, then you've successfully weened him off of formula. Make sure you do partial to partial in week long intrevals, as to thoroughly see how his body reacts to the added milk.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 9:58 PM on Oct. 25, 2009