Swine flu vaccine for pregnant women?

I'm 2mos pregnant and my doctor is recommending the H1N1 vaccine. His reasoning being that pregnant woman have a greater risk for complications( I know vague right). I'm really not sure whats best I keep getting conflicting info, my head is spinning. Any info you have and especially info from you doctor is appreciated.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:28 PM on Oct. 25, 2009 in Pregnancy

• This, nor any other vaccine has been tested on pregnant women, or the affect it could have on your baby. It says so right on the package insert.
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 12:30 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• Here is the link to the package insert that can be found on the FDA website: http://www.fda.gov/downloads/biologicsbloodvaccines/vaccines/approvedproducts/ucm182404.pdf

dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 12:37 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• I saw on the news that they DID test the h1n1 vaccine on pregnant women, but IDK if they are finished testing it yet, but I do know for a fact that many pregnant women have gotten the vaccine. I am 9 months pregnant and have not gotten the vaccine. I wanted to wait until I gave birth since today is my due date anyway.

If I was only 2 months pregnant I would honestly consider getting the vaccine because there have been 3 pregnant people die around here from h1n1 and that's not a chance that I would really want to take. I would get the vaccine if I were you, but maybe wait until 3 months when there is less of a chance for miscarriage
    Tashwitz

Answer by Tashwitz at 12:45 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• I'm getting it as soon as it's available in my area and I'm 8 months pregnant.

The risk for complications means pre-term labor for anyone in their second half of the pregnancy and miscarriage for those in the first half. It also means the possibility of developing a very fatal form of pneumonia. Being pregnant puts a strain on your body and weakens your immune system. It is true that H1N1 is not as deadly as far as numbers go as the seasonal flu, but unlike the seasonal flu this virus is killing young healthy pregnant women.

I've done a lot of research and I have decided to get the vaccine for myself, my 3 year old, and my 18 month old.

IMO, I'd listen to my dr though instead of a bunch or random moms here on CafeMom. You're going to find a lot of women here who don't trust any vaccines at all.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 12:49 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• I'm 26 weeks pregnant and am NOT getting it.
    Do some research here: http://www.nvic.org/Vaccines-and-Diseases/H1N1-SWINE-FLU.aspx
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 12:59 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• I'm 18 weeks now. I got the INACTIVE h1n1 shot at 17 weeks and so far I feel great and have had no issues or reactions. I say go for it. I do highly advise that you do not get the LIVE virus form of the shot or nasal mist for you or your kids. That is the one that is not safe.
    mommacierra

Answer by mommacierra at 1:58 PM on Oct. 25, 2009